Topic Title: Unable to install latest Catalyst package due to unsigned drivers
Topic Summary: installer won't let me select older packages, generated BSOD on install
Created On: 10/03/2012 02:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/03/2012 02:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sharethink
n00b

I have an Asus G73 laptop with an integrated Mobility Radeon 5870 display adapter.

The latest driver update won't install.  At first, I got a BSOD during installation.  After removing all drivers with Driver Fusion and attempting a clean install, I saw dialogues complaining about unsigned drivers in the package.  I suspect that the BSOD events were the result of these dialogues being generated while the screen was blanked during the driver update process, (causing an installation timeout).

I can't run my video editing software with the (very old) OEM drivers provided by Asus for my laptop.  Can anyone tell me where I can find a recent, but no bleeding edge driver package?

I have tried a few packages at this link (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx)...but every package I have tried so far installs the Catalyst control center but no display drivers.  I'm not sure why, but either they don't detect the hardware, or they read the OEM drivers as more recent than those contained in the package.

I would appreciate any advice you folks can give me.

10/03/2012 03:14 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Yes...uninstall old drivers as usual...driver fusion...install these > http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-9-001-september-4

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/03/2012 03:42 PM

Author Icon
sharethink
n00b

Thanks very much, Stumped.  I'll give it a whirl and report what happens.

10/03/2012 10:27 PM

Author Icon
sharethink
n00b

Sorry, Stumped.  This is no damn good at all.  Aside from the fact that some smart-ass repackaged the files with their twitter info and a silly picture in place of the installer image, it's exactly the same damn thing I can download as the current driver from the AMD website. 

It's broken in exactly the same way too.  atikmpag.sys and atikdag.sys are unsigned, so it won't install from a clean state, and blue screens if you try to install on top of other ATI drivers.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and I need a signed driver package.

10/03/2012 10:28 PM

Author Icon
sharethink
n00b

unsigned drivers are atikmpag.sys and atikdag.sys.

10/03/2012 11:03 PM

Author Icon
sharethink
n00b

Success.

I tried ignoring the dialogues that lead you to install the automated driver selection tool, and navigated directly to this link: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Theoretically, it's the same package I would get by running the install tool, EXCEPT, all of the driver files in the package are signed properly, and the installation works.

Now my Adobe Suite and Premiere software work again, so I'm a happy camper.

The packaging guy who put together the default package should be taken out behind the woodshed and taught a lesson.

10/03/2012 11:46 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: sharethink Sorry, Stumped.  This is no damn good at all.  Aside from the fact that some smart-ass repackaged the files with their twitter info and a silly picture in place of the installer image, it's exactly the same damn thing I can download as the current driver from the AMD website. 

It's broken in exactly the same way too.  atikmpag.sys and atikdag.sys are unsigned, so it won't install from a clean state, and blue screens if you try to install on top of other ATI drivers.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and I need a signed driver package.

Well, that smart ass packaged it so anybody that had a 5xxx,6xxx,7xxx card...Mobility, desktop, XP, Win7, Linus could download and install it. I am sorry you are still using the automaded installer, I forgot some people still do. And , just for your info only, you could not have download that driver suite on AMD.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

10/04/2012 12:23 PM

Author Icon
sharethink
n00b

Sorry,  I was unclear.  I avoided using the automatic installer, because it won't allow you to choose which package you install.

I found that the content on the AMD site tries very hard to stream users to that option, and it's very difficult to find individual packages.

I was profoundly unimpressed by the fact that I discovered Win 64 driver packages with unsigned files in them.  This is not a case of an installer that would fail for a particular user or hardware configuration, but an installer that would fail for anyone using one of the most common operating systems on the planet. ANY fully patched Win 7 64 installation would either fail to complete or crash.

This means that someone failed to do basic testing with the product that was released.

10/04/2012 12:31 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Then we would all be having that problem...hmmm? So far you are the first...ever.

10/04/2012 12:46 PM

Author Icon
sharethink
n00b

I don't think that's the case, Stumped.  I'm seeing a lot of reports of unsigned drivers on this forum, and I suspect that some of the BSOD complaints I have seen for Mobility HD 5000 and 7000 series stem from the same issue.

I have seen similar reports on other forums as well.

This is pretty cut-and-dried too.  If the OS reports a file as being unsigned, it's unsigned. It's a fact, and it's not going to change from one computer to the next.

Now it is possible that not every hardware configuration would require the installation of the affected files, in which case not everyone would experience the issue.

It would still be an issue every time those files were installed.

This is something that should be addressed long before a product is released, as part of the check-in and build processes.

Statistics
84965 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.