Topic Title: FirePro M6000 Display issue
Topic Summary: FirePro M6000 Display issue
Created On: 10/04/2012 05:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/04/2012 05:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Sabakusousou
n00b

I have just got a new Dell Precision M6700 with the AMD FirePro M6000 graphics card. This apparently supports up to 6 displays. I have three displays plugged in but no matter what I try I cannot active the 3rd display. It just says "unable to save display settings" The monitor can be seen by Catalyst pro control center, but it just will not activate. I have the most up to date driver (8.951.6.1600) Please advise! Thanks
 10/04/2012 09:07 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Please review the sticky at the top of catagory. 

The most important information the forum members need to help you address your issues is:

- exact details on all the specific outputs provided on the laptop
- exact details on how you have each display connected (adapters, cables, etc..)
- brand/model of each display connected

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

10/04/2012 10:17 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Sabakusousou, have you contacted Dell or asked this question on one of their forums yet? When it comes to laptops/notebooks, most of the time, you can find the answers to your questions much easier/quicker than you would be able to here.

The FirePro M6000 may be able to support up to 6 displays but the "M6000" that is inside your M6700 laptop may not be reference design and therefore may not be able to support that configuration.

Edit:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m6700/pd

Tackle graphics-intensive tasks.
Handle 3D modeling and other graphics-intensive jobs with next-gen AMD® or NVIDIA® graphics options, and take in the view with support for up to five displays when docked

Under the "Find Out More" link

Handle 3D modeling and other graphics-intensive jobs with next-gen AMD® or NVIDIA® graphics options, and take in the view with support for up to five displays when docked.
Whether you're a digital artist or an engineer working with complex graphics elements, you'll benefit from the Dell Precision M6700's graphics options.

• AMD and NVIDIA graphics options enable you to run high-end graphics demands for all of your professional needs, from graphics rendering to modeling complex simulations.
• Run complicated, high-demand video projects smoothly with up to 4GB1 of dedicated video memory.
• Transfer computational demands from the CPU to the GPU. NVIDIA graphics options enable up to 1344 CUDA cores.
• Dock your system and enjoy a lager view of your work with up to five displays (four external displays plus system display)².
• Enable fast data throughput and outstanding graphics performance with professional-grade AMD FirePro graphics with PCIx x16 Gen 3 access.

1 GB means 1 billion bytes and TB equals 1 trillion bytes; significant system memory may be used to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.

² Five display capability requires an AMD graphics solution. To enable three or more monitors additional adapters/dongles may be required. For more details see: http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

Edited: 10/04/2012 at 10:40 AM by Canis-X
 10/05/2012 03:29 AM

Author Icon
Sabakusousou
n00b

Thanks for the info so far. Here is the rest of the info: the ports on the laptop are: DVI, VGA, HDMI, Dell DP The laptop is plugged in to a edock PR03X which has: Dell DP, DVI, VGA Plugged in to the dock DVI is a Dell e178fpb monitor Plugged in to the dock VGA is a Dell 1707Fpv monitor Hope this helps.
 10/05/2012 09:26 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

So.....have you looked on Dell's site yet....contacted Dell's support desk?  Does your manual provide any information on this?  Again, AMD did not make your laptop so unless someone here actually owns the same laptop your chances are slim that you will find your answer here.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

08/20/2013 10:10 AM

Author Icon
bearsrule86
Peon

Hello,

I just had fun dealing with this issue myself.

Thanks for the thread.

I learned that multiple monitors is only supported using the DisplayPort. Therefore you have to either use DisplayPort for your monitor, use a DisplayPort hub, and/or DisplayPort to DVI (VGA, etc) adapter(s).

"Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn’t be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:

1.  The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.

2.  The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.

3.  If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it. DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.2

4.  Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays. "

See:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx#eyefinity-technology

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/DrivingMultipleDisplaysFromaSingleDisplayPort.aspx

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Statistics
84124 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.