Topic Title: Drivers problem with Radeon HD 5650 on Windows 8
Topic Summary: drivers fail windows into black sreen
Created On: 10/26/2012 06:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/26/2012 05:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: dima.lebedinsky Hi,

I've faced and issues with drivers for Windows 8 for notebook card Radeon HD 5650 1gb. Installing any drivers with support for win 8 lead to black screen.

This issue was tested both with 12.10 and 12.11 beta on fresh win 8 x64 installation. Same drivers are ok for Win 7 but on win 8 they lead to black sreen. well, after message that screen may blink - after 2 hours nothing changes tested 3 times  Only recovery to restore point help after. win 8 cann't even load.

I've filled bug report but maybe you can help with this? or what should I expect?

Currently windows in device manages show that video card is running on default drivers and also has (!) sign on device.

Ok, you installed Windows 8 on your laptop and you are having issues.....questions (and really the only questions that matter)

• Does your laptop manufacturer currently sell your specific model laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed?
  • When you go to their website and look up the drivers for you laptop do you see drivers available for your specific model laptop for Windows 8?

If the answer is no, then you need to restore your laptop back to the OS that it was on when you purchased it.....why you may ask?  Laptops are proprietary to the laptop manufacturer, that being said they almost always take reference drivers and throw them in a blender add/take away a bunch of stuff so that they meet their specification needs and the end result is the drivers no longer look/behave anything like the reference version of the driver.

If you want to load a brand new OS on anything and expect it to work ok, do so on a desktop that you built with reference components......NEVER....I repeat....NEVER do so on a laptop/notebook.

Cheers!

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/26/2012 06:21 PM

Author Icon
dima.lebedinsky
n00b

Hi, 

I've faced and issues with drivers for Windows 8 for notebook card Radeon HD 5650 1gb. Installing any drivers with support for win 8 lead to black screen

This issue was tested both with 12.10 and 12.11 beta on fresh win 8 x64 installation. Same drivers are ok for Win 7 but on win 8 they lead to black sreen. well, after message that screen may blink - after 2 hours nothing changes tested 3 times Only recovery to restore point help after. win 8 cann't even load. 

I've filled bug report but maybe you can help with this? or what should I expect? 

Currently windows in device manages show that video card is running on default drivers and also has (!) sign on device.

10/26/2012 09:05 PM

Author Icon
dima.lebedinsky
n00b

It worked for me before. also on win 7 new drivers worked. It fails on Win 8. Only ATI drives. All the other went very well. So this is primary an issue for dirvers that declare support for win 8 for this particular video card model. Beside that - this is proposed drivers by amd tool and hp update tool (the manufactor of hp pavilion dv6 3035er). 

I agree that its old notebook but declaration are declarations. AMD declares support.

10/26/2012 09:05 PM

Author Icon
dima.lebedinsky
n00b

Originally posted by: Canis-X 

Ok, you installed Windows 8 on your laptop and you are having issues.....questions (and really the only questions that matter)

• Does your laptop manufacturer currently sell your specific model laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed?
  • When you go to their website and look up the drivers for you laptop do you see drivers available for your specific model laptop for Windows 8?
If the answer is no, then you need to restore your laptop back to the OS that it was on when you purchased it.....why you may ask?  Laptops are proprietary to the laptop manufacturer, that being said they almost always take reference drivers and throw them in a blender add/take away a bunch of stuff so that they meet their specification needs and the end result is the drivers no longer look/behave anything like the reference version of the driver.

If you want to load a brand new OS on anything and expect it to work ok, do so on a desktop that you built with reference components......NEVER....I repeat....NEVER do so on a laptop/notebook.

Cheers!

t worked for me before. also on win 7 new drivers worked. It fails on Win 8. Only ATI drives. All the other went very well. So this is primary an issue for dirvers that declare support for win 8 for this particular video card model. Beside that - this is proposed drivers by amd tool and hp update tool (the manufactor of hp pavilion dv6 3035er). 

I agree that its old notebook but declaration are declarations. AMD declares support.

10/27/2012 12:54 AM

Author Icon
dima.lebedinsky
n00b

Originally posted by: stumped Have you gone to your notebook manufactures' site to check for drivers?

Yes. ALL drivers from HP are up to date. Except Catalisys.

Well after digging throw forums - it seems more then common error for  people with Intel Integrated and ATI notebook graphic cards. Some folks face black sreen, like I do even on 6* and 7*....

The only one solution I've found so far is to use external drivers from leshcat (I suppose it's not allowed to paste links). This is very poor for Amd as for me - having some folks making work what they declared.  This drivers are not perfect but - they work. 

10/27/2012 04:25 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Have you gone to your notebook manufactures' site to check for drivers?

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/27/2012 05:11 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: dima.lebedinsky
Originally posted by: Canis-X 

Cheers!

t worked for me before. also on win 7 new drivers worked. It fails on Win 8. Only ATI drives. All the other went very well. So this is primary an issue for dirvers that declare support for win 8 for this particular video card model. Beside that - this is proposed drivers by amd tool and hp update tool (the manufactor of hp pavilion dv6 3035er). 

My statement still stands.  If your laptop manufacturer does not sell your laptop with Win8 nor does it offer drivers for your laptop on Win8 then you should not install Win8 on it.....AND.....if you do, expect for there to be issues that you are going to have to accept and deal with.  Sorry if that is not what you want to hear, but it is what it is.

Cheers!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/27/2012 01:01 PM

Author Icon
dima.lebedinsky
n00b

My statement still stands.  If your laptop manufacturer does not sell your laptop with Win8 nor does it offer drivers for your laptop on Win8 then you should not install Win8 on it.....AND.....if you do, expect for there to be issues that you are going to have to accept and deal with.  Sorry if that is not what you want to hear, but it is what it is.

Cheers!

thing is - support for drivers is done, but not by amd - by community, community was able to provide fix for dirives from amd. for 12.9 version in fact. What I and other people are waiting that amd support will not be hiding behind statement like "it's not my problem" - we what to see declared support. 

Statistics
84707 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.