Topic Title: AMD Radeon 7690M Performance Problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/31/2012 10:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2012 10:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
seifpic
Peon

Hello,

I recently bought the HP Envy 15-3040nr laptop with the following specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8139 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 7690M, 1024 Mb, Switchable with Intel® HD Graphics Family.
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1688

After a couple of days of use, I realized that the dynamic graphics mode was a failure and the High Performance card (the 7690M) wasn't being used. I changed the graphics mode to fixed from the bios and I had the ability to change between High and Low performance graphics cards. Now games would play with much better performance (Minecraft for instance reached 100+ FPS and I had to use the Vsync option to avoid the AMD card crashing).

Later, I tried out an After Effects plugin called Element 3D (by VideoCopilot). The plugin relies heavily on OpenGL. Whenever I launched the plugin, After Effects crashed. I later read that I needed to use version 12.7 of the catalyst. I downloaded it and the plugin worked wonderfully. However, the AMD card's performance went very low (Minecraft had only 20 - 35 FPS, and other games lagged horribly). I posted on other forums and I was told to revert back to the original catalyst and drivers that came bundled with my laptop. I downloaded the following driver from the HP Website: Link I first uninstalled the current catalyst and driver using the installer I downloaded from the HP website and I used the following guide to guide myself in uninstalling. I restarted my laptop and the resolution was all messed up. I then installed the original drivers and catalyst  and everything went back to normal. However the performance didn't change a bit. Now the Intel graphics card performed better than the AMD one. My fear is that it could be a problem in the card itself that was caused by the 12.7 catalyst and drivers. However there might be a different way to uninstall the the drivers that I don't know about. How can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 10/31/2012 at 10:53 AM by seifpic
 10/31/2012 12:06 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Have you worked with HP on this at all?  Is it still under warranty?  Due to the Intel switchable graphics and the fact that this is a P2P forum, unless someone has that same Laptop and has experienced/corrected this issue in the past you most likely won't find a solution here and AMD does not support Intel's switchable graphics.

If I were in your shoes I would be on the phone with HP and would not get off the call until it was either corrected or I had been issued a support ticket # to send the laptop in for service.....after-all, you did pay for that warranty, correct? 

Cheers!

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/31/2012 12:44 PM

Author Icon
seifpic
Peon

The problem is that I got a friend to buy this laptop from the states and bring it to me here in Egypt. If I call the Egyptian branch of HP, they would tell me that they cannot support me because this laptop hasn't been released yet to the Middle-East.

However, if you suggest, I can go ask in the HP support forums instead.

Edited: 10/31/2012 at 12:51 PM by seifpic
 12/05/2012 05:00 PM

Author Icon
seifpic
Peon

The reason I asked this here is because this a driver created by AMD for an AMD card. The ones who should be most knowledgable about this problem are the people at AMD. I am pretty sure that some people at AMD are knowledgable about how their drivers work and what they change in the system. I asked at multiple forums (including the HP forums) and no one was able to reply with an answer except "Reinstall drivers". There is one solution I have yet to try which is uninstalling using both the new and the old installers and try and reinstall the original drivers. I doubt this will work though thats why I come and ask here.

The reason I seem angry is because this problem is really getting on my nerves. My computer has all this power that it cannot harness because of a probably simple driver problem. Yet I haven't been able to fix this since september and I don't know how much longer I can handle low performance.

Thanks in advance.

12/05/2012 07:16 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Originally posted by: seifpic The reason I asked this here is because this a driver created by AMD for an AMD card. The ones who should be most knowledgable about this problem are the people at AMD. I am pretty sure that some people at AMD are knowledgable about how their drivers work and what they change in the system. I asked at multiple forums (including the HP forums) and no one was able to reply with an answer except "Reinstall drivers". There is one solution I have yet to try which is uninstalling using both the new and the old installers and try and reinstall the original drivers. I doubt this will work though thats why I come and ask here.

The reason I seem angry is because this problem is really getting on my nerves. My computer has all this power that it cannot harness because of a probably simple driver problem. Yet I haven't been able to fix this since september and I don't know how much longer I can handle low performance.

Thanks in advance.

"" AMD is a supplier of laptop components and does not manufacture or sell complete laptop systems. The software provided by AMD is a generic version. Each laptop computer original equipment manufacturer (OEM) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. ""

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/06/2012 01:13 AM

Author Icon
seifpic
Peon

Sure, but the drivers I downloaded were from their website and it was probably created by them. The problem most probably originated from the AMD drivers. I'm sure this is going to turn to a big argument which will not provide me any help with my problem.

12/08/2012 06:15 AM

Author Icon
seifpic
Peon

Bump...

12/09/2012 12:15 PM

Author Icon
seifpic
Peon

Statistics
81140 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.