Topic Title: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 incompatible with Windows 8 Pro metro interface
Topic Summary: problems with updating driver
Created On: 11/07/2012 06:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/07/2012 06:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sjames6002
Peon

I have been having problems with the ATI mobility radeon HD 4670 (which AMD claims should be compatible with windows 8) and have tried almost everything to fix it:
After initially updating windows 8 from 7, I was told that the ATI driver needed reinstalling - as AMD have yet to release a specific driver supported in windows 8 for this card, I downloaded the latest version (windows 7 64bit) and ran the install in Windows 7 compatibility mode. All seemed well and I was able to switch the graphics from on-board to the dedicated ATI HD 4670... 
HOWEVER - when using the windows 8 metro start screen in dedicated graphics card mode (the ATI 4670), there were some serious issues with flickering screens and loading when opening most apps. When I change it back to on-board (intel) graphics - the problem disappears.
This is obviously therefore a problem with the ATI graphics card compatibility - but only it seems with the windows 8 metro interface and apps as all other programs work.
I have tried several troubleshooting guides such as these to no avail! As well as refreshing the installation (and loosing all installed programs in the process!), clearing and uninstalling all the ATI drivers and folders then reinstalling, trying the windows 8 12.6 legacy driver (which resulted in completely black screen) - still no luck :-/
I'm not really sure if there is a solution to this other than switching the graphics to onboard when using less intensive programs and the metro interface / apps, then switching to dedicated graphics for the rest (I used to just leave it to dedicated graphics in windows 7 as I use intensive graphics and 3D CAD programs most of the time). 
I don't really want to resort to this and it would be a shame to revert back to windows 7 simply due to this problem. Therefore, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance!

-------------------------
Model: Acer Aspire 8935
OS: Windows 8 Pro (previously Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit)
Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9000
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 (dedicated)
Graphics: Mobile Intel 4 Series (onboard)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (X2 4GB @ 1600MHz
 11/07/2012 12:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Why is it that everyone thinks that installing a brand new OS on a laptop that was never sold with the new OS is a good idea....and then to top it off blames AMD for the issue? 

Firstly, never.....NEVER.....install ANY drivers on a laptop that were not provided by your laptop manufacturer.  Laptops are not reference peices of equipment, they are proprietary, and almost always have customized drivers for thier product.  This even applies to reference drivers being applied to the OS that the laptop was sold with.

Secondly, unless your laptop manufacturer sells (or provides drivers for) your specific laptop model with the new OS on it.....never....NEVER....install the new OS on it.  Why.....because laptops are not reference and I am willing to bet that Microsoft didn't go out and purchase every single laptop model out there.....from every laptop manufacturer....so that they could include the custom drivers needed for your laptop to function properly.

Bottom line, if you are having issues with your laptop on the new OS, then revert back to the OS that your laptop was sold with and only use the drivers that your laptop manufacturer provides.  If you need functionality from the new OS (Win8), then go out an buy a new laptop that is sold with, or provides drivers for, Win8.  This is not AMD's problem.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

Statistics
86391 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.