Topic Title: Screen edge flicker in Windows 8
Topic Summary: native apps and some desktop apps causing flickering
Created On: 11/08/2012 01:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/08/2012 01:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
goblynn93
Peon

I am using a Radeon Mobility 5xxx HD series. HP does not offer an updated driver but the Win7 driver from HP and the Win8 driver from ATi both have the same problem.

When I am in native apps, and sometimes the Desktop, the top and bottom edges of my screen flicker! Its random, and some apps are more likely to flicker than others, but it happens more often than not.

I tried the ATi offered driver when I first installed Win8 and got the flicker. I tried the Win7 HP driver and had the same issue and I went back to the newer ATi offered driver.

Screen edges are still flickering! Sometimes it goes with keystrokes, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks!

Brian

11/08/2012 04:40 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

What you are trying to do is fit a round peg in a square whole for all intents and purposes.  For what it's worth, you have two issues:

• You installed a non-supported OS on your laptop
  • You are trying non-supported graphics drivers on your laptop and OS

Basically, if your laptop manufacturer doesn't sell your model laptop running on a specific OS then you should not install that OS on it.....simply because Microsoft is not going to buy all the available laptops on the market so that they can engineer and then QA drivers to be packaged with the OS.  Aside from that, do you have any idea how large that install package would be?.  Don't for a second think that your laptop has anything in it that would be considered reference, so attempting to install a driver downloaded directly from AMD (reference driver) is not going to work on your laptop perfectly.

Bottom line, install the latest OS that your laptop was sold (supported) on and be happy.  If you want the latest OS then buy a laptop that is sold with it loaded on it.

You can try the driver offered below, but it doesn't mean that it will correct your issue:

Updating Mobility drivers

Cheers!

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

11/08/2012 09:53 PM

Author Icon
goblynn93
Peon

Well I find your answer to be mostly unhelpful and defeatist.

The reference driver is all I've used with this laptop since I bought it. The HP driver has been stale and buggy. I have had zero issues with the reference driver and my laptop.

The driver I am using is a Windows 8 supported driver. The hardware in this laptop is all compatible with Windows 8. There is nothing on this laptop that shouldn't work.

Your concept of "if you want the latest OS buy a laptop built for it" is typical of the horrific disposable technology mentality of the computing industry today. There is no reason my i7 quadcore computer less than 3 years old with 8gb of ram and a Windows 8 supported chipset and graphics should NOT be able to run Windows 8.

It runs Windows 8 fantastically as a matter of fact... I just have this one graphics glitch that I can live with but if there is a fix I'm here to try and find it.

I installed Windows Vista and 7 onto a laptop "built for Windows ME"... I installed Windows XP 64 on a laptop with no 64 bit driver support having to side load SATA drivers just to have the HDD recognized... Its not easy but its also not impossible.

Bottom line: I didn't come for a lecture on how stupid I am for trying to put Windows 8 on compatible but unsupported hardware... I came to see if anyone else might have seen something similar whether it be on an older upgraded or brand new machine and offer a suggestion to fix it. Your post was unhelpful but I do appreciate the time you took to write it.

11/08/2012 09:58 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Try these drivers > http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-11-beta-6-9-01-8

Uninstall the old drivers using your computer control panel > uninstall a program. You will see "AMD Install Manager" use 'Express uninstall all amd software..including the installer. Reboot. Run Driver Fusion (free) http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion , select AMD graphics then delete all it finds. Reboot. Install the latest driver suite for your card/system. Reboot.

Please note that all current AMD drivers require net framework 4 (dotnet4). If you don't have it installed the CCC will not function. You should disable all anti-virus/ad-blocker/UAC/etc before trying to install the new drivers.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/08/2012 10:04 PM

Author Icon
goblynn93
Peon

12.11 beta huh? Interesting... I'll give that a shot when I get back home. Its worth a try!

I've got 12.10 reference driver installed right now. The HP supported drivers are version 8.xxx which is why I've used the reference driver for the whole of this laptop's life.

Updating my BIOS to the latest version helped cut down the flicker some but not completely.

Thanks for the idea!

11/10/2012 07:53 PM

Author Icon
goblynn93
Peon

The Beta worked. No more flickering edge!

Thanks!

Statistics
86429 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.