Topic Title: 7970M 120Hz Monitor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/12/2012 07:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/12/2012 07:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nip
Peon

I have the Vortex 3 Laptop with Radeon HD 7970M. I have a ASUS VG236 3D Monitor, that should be capable of 3D and 120Hz gaming, and I have a dual-link cable connecting to the laptop. In my display options I only have 60Hz. How do I make it run at 120Hz as I want to play games on that?

The monitor came with Nvidia vison CD with drivers, but I don't have an Nvidia GeForce card so I don't need to install that in order to use 120Hz right?

Other info:
CPU i7-3610QM
Win7 Pro 64-bit
Display Driver version: 12.11

Please help me and thanks in advanced

11/14/2012 12:01 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Check with nVidia, but I suspect those glasses would only be compatible with nVidia graphics hardware.

Forgetting about the glasses for a moment, you also need to consider middle-ware software like TriDef to play games in 3D.  Can you provide a list of games you want to play in 3D? Do they natively support 3D?

By "dual-link cable," do you mean a Dual-Link DVI cable?

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this do*****ent is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/14/2012 01:46 PM

Author Icon
nip
Peon

Yes it's a Duel-Link DVI, the one that should be able to carry a 120Hz signal.

I do not care about the glasses or playing games in 3D. I want to play CS:GO (Counter-Strike:Global Offensive) with a 120Hz refresh rate.

Thanks for the reply, and I hope you can help me further.

11/14/2012 03:21 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

On page 19 of 19 of the manual, ASUS does appear to say that 1920x1080 @ 120hz is supported over DVI in both 2D and 3D modes.  A few thoughts & questions:

1) Are there any options for the monitor (through its OSD menus) to change between 2D/3D or anything that might limit it to 60hz?

2) In Windows' own Display Settings section, does it offer 120hz? 

3) Have you contact the laptop manufacturer? Can you verify that the their implemention of that GPU and DVI port supports 120hz.

4) Can you confirm that CS:GO supports 120hz?

5) In our CCC software, and in Device Manager (under Monitors) how is the monitor listed? By brand/model?

6) In Windows' Display Settings section, can you choose "list all modes" and manually choose 1920x1080 @120hz?

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this do*****ent is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/15/2012 09:44 AM

Author Icon
nip
Peon

Here is a photo of what I see in my ASUS Manual: http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/nipplepie/IMAG0280.jpg

1) Nope, I have looked on the monitor menu and there is nothing regarding this.

2) Look at this screenshot http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/nipplepie/Untitled.jpg
I only have 60Hz. If I change to lower 4:3 resolution I have 75Hz, but that's it.

3) I can't really contact Clevo... I got my laptop from pcspecilists I can try to ask them about it, but I have before and they didn't give me an answer. The laptop manufacturer is Clevo.

4)  Yes. It's very common for pro gamers in CS1.6 and CS:Source to use 120Hz monitor for an extra competitive edge. You go to the launch options of the game via steam and you add -refresh 120 (screenshot http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/nipplepie/Untitled.jpg) 
You can do it in this game of course, but Im pretty sure adding this command for wouldn't work as I don't ahve the option to do it in my Display settings.

5)  For CCC I don't know. Where does it say? In Device Manager for Display adapters I have 'AMD Radeon HD 7970M' and 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000'. EDIT: Under Monitors it says 'Generic PnP Monitor' and 'Generic PnP Monitor'. It has it written twice. Guessing laptop screen and externam monitor?

6) Refer to previous screenshots. I can not.

It seems that my laptop thinks I have a Generic PnP Monitor (Im not sure what this means), so is it meant to say something like '3D 120Hz Monitor' instead? If so do I have to install any drivers for the monitor, like the Nvidia CD, even tho I dont have an Nvidia graphics card?

11/15/2012 04:12 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I would think a "Generic PnP Monitor" would only be capable of 60hz.   

I think this is your problem.  The monitor's EDID information is not being communicated correctly.  I would want to see your monitor being listed in Device Manager (under Monitors) and in CCC, and in Windows Display Properties as: ASUS VG236, or something very close to that.

From my previous #2, and your reply with the screenshot.  Go under to the Adapter tab, and click List all Modes. See if you can select it there.

Also, since your laptop is a Switchable Graphics-enabled laptop, there is the question of which graphics adapter is being utilized.  I don't think your Clevo laptop has any BIOS ability to permanently dsiable the Intel adapter, so for basic computer use on the desktop, the Intel would be used.  With the laptop plugged in to electrical outlet, and CS:Go working in full-screen, the HD7970 should be used.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

11/16/2012 09:30 AM

Author Icon
nip
Peon

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv162/nipplepie/Capture-6.jpg

Still no 120Hz option, but isn't that the Modes for the HD 4000, not for the HD 7970M. How do I bring up the same menu but for the 7970M?

Do you think that your card will work on this laptop if I install the Desktop driver, and remove the HD 4000 driver? Would that technically work? (I'm not that informed on installing drivers and more, usually need to ask people about it first)

Or do you think that if I add the launch command -refresh 120 into CS:GO it will actually use the 120Hz of the 7970M & Monitor?

11/16/2012 11:47 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I am quite certain (from another thread on this forum) that your laptop has no means to permanently disable the integrated Intel HD4000 graphics adapter.

Indeed, the screenshot you are showing is listing "All Modes" for the Intel graphics adapter, and not the HD7970 - and this is very likely because the HD7970 is not in use by the system.

With the laptop plugged into the electrical outlet (not on battery) and in a full-screen 3D application, the laptop should be using the HD7970.  If CS:GO supports 120hz refresh, then adding that command line should do it.

Unfortunately, I think given the Switchable Graphics laptop, I don't foresee a way in Windows to set your external connected monitor to 120hz.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

11/16/2012 01:26 PM

Author Icon
nip
Peon

Right well if in a 3D application it does work on 120Hz then great!?

Umm do you know any way I can test this? Instead of just assume it? Any software or trick to tell if it's 120Hz when I am playing or 60Hz?

120Hz is twice the refresh rate and should be quite noticable, but then again there is the placebo effect

EDIT: I remembered that CoD: MW3 has an option in Video to set your Hz. When I launch the game it's using my 7970M but I can not go above 75Hz on the ingame refresh rate option. So I don't think any other game or 3D application will be able to run 120Hz without me doing something else first.

Edited: 11/16/2012 at 02:17 PM by nip
Statistics
80937 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.