Topic Title: Trouble Calibrating Dell U2711 from HP Laptop
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/13/2012 11:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/13/2012 11:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dalbal
Peon

What a bear of a problem and I hope someone can give me an answer.

Here are the details of my system

HP dv-7 Notebook

Win 7 Home Premium x64, SP 1

Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q9000

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 Graphics card, AMD Catalyst 12.6 updated Oct 6, 2012

I do a lot of photography and need a color claibrated workflow. I have been trying to get the Dell 2711 calibrated. My laptop only has a VGA and HDMI port which do not provide for Native/Full res of the monitor. I use eyeone Match 2 calibrator and associated software.

One question I have is will the HD 4650 support two monitors each with different ICC profiles?

11/14/2012 04:19 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

What Colorimeter are you using to properly colour calibrate the monitor?

In year's past it was only the FirePRO products that were compatible with multiple look-up tables.  However, I have been told that the HD4000 and newer should be compatible too. 

I have a DataColor Spyder3 Express at home, but I know it only supports the calibration of just 1 monitor - despite my card being capable of more.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/14/2012 06:17 PM

Author Icon
dalbal
Peon

I think the card can handle the profiles, but that is a pretty big think. Both profiles are visible in Win7 Color Management settings. It is just making sure the profiles are loaded. Perhaps it is a windows issue and I am also checking that out.

The laptop looks great.

It is Red channel on the Dell. All the tests look good on it. Opening a file in LR4 also looks fine, so I think monitor is ruled out. 

I use an EyeOne Match 2 calibrator and match 3... software.

Is there a way of checking to see if the card can manage two profiles?

11/15/2012 09:18 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

The graphics card is capable of more than just 1 LUT (Look Up Table).  However, I think it is really your EyeOne Match 3 software that would handle the creation of the .ICM profile and applying it. With my Spyder3, the software runs in the background on the system tray.  I know that everytime I turn my PC on (and the OS loads) the process/service will start up and it will load the created .ICM profile (stored in a directory I forget) to the graphics card's LUT.

I suppose with Window7 you can browse and apply different .ICM profiles to each monitor through its own Colour Management section of the display properties.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/15/2012 10:04 AM

Author Icon
dalbal
Peon

There is an application called Calibration Loader on my startup menu. t is from GretagMacbeth the suppliers of the EyeOne products. I assume this loads the color profile each time the computer starts up.

I also notice that the laptop display goes through a slight color shift near the end of the start up. I havn't noticed this on the external monitor.

I think the card is fine in that it can handle two profiles. I am not sure, but think it is capable of displaying the full resolution of the dell U2711 at 2560 x 1440. The full display is not tested since I only have VGA (2048 x 1152) and HDMI (1920 x 1080) on my laptop. Not being in full display may also be part of the problem although Dell has still not gotten back to me about that. I do know that any of the visual monitor Gamma tests really don't seem to work on VGA or HDMI.

I think it is probably something to do with Windows settings or settings not being maintained or possibily not being in full display.

Thanks Marc

11/15/2012 03:41 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I am pretty confident that your .ICM profiles created by the Match3 software and applied by the Calibration Loader must be working correctly for both monitors, because you describe the same thing as I experience.  At home, once the .ICM profile is loaded by my Spyder3 service during an OS boot-up, the monitor shifts in colour.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

11/15/2012 06:58 PM

Author Icon
dalbal
Peon

You are right Marc. I recalibrated with a pretty intense change to the profile, 7500WP,1.7 Gamma and 100L.

It loads right away and stays after booting as well. It looks better but obviously not the best.

I think the monitor is fine. I think the calibrator is fine. Windows and the card seem fine. I am left with not displaying at Native Resolution.

I wonder if I can install a new card which has DVI-D or Display port into my laptop? That would seem much cheaper than a new computer and I won't need to go to Win8 just yet as well.

11/16/2012 11:51 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: dalbal I wonder if I can install a new card which has DVI-D or Display port into my laptop? That would seem much cheaper than a new computer and I won't need to go to Win8 just yet as well.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt that you will be able too.  Officially, the only chance you have is that the laptop manufacturer can supply you with an upgrade or a change of video card to one that has a DisplayPort, or DualLink-DVI output.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

11/17/2012 11:19 AM

Author Icon
dalbal
Peon

It would be very awkward to change out the card to say the least.

FYI and a thank you for the help I was able to find out a couple more things.

On the Eyeone site I downloaded a small app which checks a display to see if a a profile is coming from a display specific LUT. Both laptop and ex. monitor have specific LUTs for them so again confirmation card can handle more than one LUT.

Also Win 7 should load display specific settings on start up. I disabled LOGO calibration on start up, rebooted and no problem. Also going to Win 7 Color management panel and changing default display profile immediately changes display. Windows seems to be working fine as well. And with only monitor changing would also seem to confirm multiple LUTs.

Unless something new pops up I think I have to assume I will not resolve the color issue on the Dell until I can get it up to full res. And that will not be until sometime in January.

Thanks for the help and advice Marc.

Dave

Statistics
84690 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.