Topic Title: Solved: Microsoft Basic Display Driver
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2012 10:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2012 10:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MetalAZ
Peon

I have an HP laptop that's 1.5 years old and has AMD processor and Radeon HD 6370 video (along with powersaving Radeon HD 4200).  The laptop came with Window 7 64-bit and I never had an issue with drivers (which I always got from AMD's site instead of using HPs).  I had formatted and installed just Windows 7 (not HP recovery) about 6 months ago (hard drive had died).  I upgraded to Windows 8 in October and video was working fine up until the last couple weeks.  I'm not sure what changed except that I have installed Windows updates.  I've tried completely uninstalling the drivers, rebooting, using Driver Fusion to remove left overs, rebooting, then re-installing drivers but still no luck.  

In Device Manager it shows the AMD drivers for the Radeon, but if I go to Screen Resolution in Display it shows "Microsoft Basic Display Driver".  I've tried forcing it to use the Radeon drivers I downloaded but it keeps telling me they aren't compatible.  They are the 64bit version and my OS is 64bit, not to mention they are installed and show as working in Device Manager.

When I open CCC I only have CPU options, no display options.  I have no hardware acceleration. dxdiag confirms I really am using the basic display driver.

Anyone have an ideas on this? I've tried 12-10 drivers and 12-11 beta drivers.  Again Device Manager shows the driver is installed and working but it seems it's not actually being used.

Edit: Apparently a lot of people are having problems.  I didn't see this forum but my thread was moved to it and now see the posts I hadn't seen before.

Solved: See my post below.

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 03:49 PM by MetalAZ
 12/10/2012 02:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MetalAZ
Peon

An update to this, but not solved.  Might help others who are having similar problems.

I re-installed Windows 8, saving nothing.  Upon first booting into it the card was showing properly under Display > Screen Resolution.  A few minutes later the screen flashed and the resolution was changed to 1024x768.  I went back to Display > Screen Resolution and it was now showing as "Microsoft Basic Display Drivers".

I uninstalled and deleted the AMD Radeon HD 6300M drivers, then installed 12-10 drivers.  Display > Screen Resolution was now showing the 4200, which is my powersaving video.  I opened Device Manager and it showed that one was enabled while the 6300M had an exclamation mark over it.  A minute later the screen flashed and switched back to the 6300M and back to the Microsoft basic display drivers.  The excalamation mark was now on the 4200.  I think upon first booting after installing the OS it was using the 4200 and when using the 4200 it works properly, just not the 6300M drivers.

Edit: Closer. 6300M is being set as an extended display.  In Screen Resolution "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" is 1 and the 6300M is 2.  I just gotta figure out how to swap them.

Edit 2: Solved. My problem was for some reason the Radeon was 2 instead of 1 in Display > Screen Resolution.  I changed main display to 2 and set it to "Show desktop only on 2".

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 03:45 PM by MetalAZ
Statistics
88952 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.