Topic Title: AMD Turion RM-74 Overheating problem
Topic Summary: I have overheating problems and I want to underclock it.
Created On: 12/16/2012 08:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/16/2012 08:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
egon
Peon

It seems like this model has a problem. From the day one I bought this I have problem with overheating. A brief search and I found many more people having the same problem.

The only way to stop having this problem is by reducing the speed of the CPU.

I try to underclock it from BIOS but it seems that it is not possible.

I am currently using OpenSUSE and using the command "cpupower' I can set up a lower cpu speed for my laptop to run. But there are only 3 steps . I can either ran it at 2.2GHz (100%), 1.1Ghz(50%) and 500Mhz(22.%). 

On the one hand I dont want to use the maximum capability for the problems I mentioned before. On the other hand I dont want to drop it to 50%.

Is there a way in whcih I can reduce the maximum cpu speed?

Kind regards,

Egon

01/11/2013 11:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

A lot of laptop manufacturers will limit the clocking options in the BIOS to prevent people overclocking and overheating their system. With OpenSUSE someone might be able to write up a quick function to get around that, but officially you're limited to what the laptop BIOS permits, which looks like 22%, 50% and 100%. Did you try asking the laptop manufacturers or looking for a new BIOS from them?

-------------------------
AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
Statistics
84697 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.