Topic Title: APU A8 4500M having problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/30/2012 03:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/30/2012 03:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cz5042
Peon

Hey guys, this is my very firs topic. I just got this laptop back in november and I've been having problems with it. After several monitoring processes I think I found what the problems is, but there's no way for me to solve it.

The thing is, when the iGPU from the APU is idle, it stays at 200MHz, but when watching videos on YouTube or any other sources it goes up to 655MHz, as intended. However that doesn't happen when in game.

In game the behavior is extremely weird. CPU Turbo Core doesn't work at all, and CPU frequencies go down to 1400MHz and GPU clock stays on idle. Crysis 2 is playable with "High" settings, but the FPS is kind of low.

The CPU frequencies worked at 1900MHz and the GPU worked properly just like four times in all this time I've had the laptop and I couldn't locate what was the reason for that.

I thought it may be was a matter of high temperatures and the APU had to set a limit for itself, but I guess something is wrong in here because some apps show the temp of the CPU is around 53 ºC and the GPU is around 100 ºC, which is completely absurd because they are both on the same die.

Also, I found in the Toshiba's BIOS an option called "CPU frequencies", with two states: Disabled, where the CPU stays always at 1400MHz, and Dynamic, where the CPU goes at 1900 MHz when watching videos but not games, which is stupid.

Already tried reformating (twice) and I've used the OEM driver from Toshiba as well as the one from AMD 12.11 beta (I will try 12.12 and 12.10 tonight) 

My conclusion in here is that is a matter of drivers for having bad readings at what the APU is doing and as a consequence the frequencies dont' go properly

More info:

Toshiba S845D SP4212TL

APU A8 4500M with 7640G

8GB RAM dual channel Kingston at 667 MHz

OH BTW, the fans when in game go at full rpm, I can hear them, as well in video, but not in idle, so at least that seems to be working fine.

01/03/2013 02:30 AM

Author Icon
cz5042
Peon

Hey! I just solved the problem! By myslef What i did:

The CPU frecuencies option from the BIOS always on low. Several programs report it is running at 1.4GHz but that is just unveilable if I am getting 26+ FPS on Crysis 2 all high 1366 x 768. 

And finally, even it sounds stupid, the Power Profiles in Windows has to be "High Performance" so the iGPU won't  be hold at 200MHz and it will go up to 655 when needed.

Just a bug for the guys from Toshiba or AMD may be?

Finally, when in game, my CPU hits 98C, I saw it with CoreTemp, and I believe the real frecuency of the CPU is 1.9. I guess if it were really 1.4 there's no way for the games even to start.

And as a final conclussion, I guess the CPU never got to 2.8 with Turbo Core because of overheating

Now my problem is solved, but if someone thinks of an explanation deeper than what I have I'd really appreciate it

01/03/2013 02:31 AM

Author Icon
cz5042
Peon

Final detail, I kept the original OEM drivers and Windows 7 x64 SP1.

Is it possible that more than 3 programs are misreporting the CPU frencuencies? Just thinking about this still

09/05/2013 01:57 AM

Author Icon
prajwalgopal10
Peon

Hi I have amd A8-4500M processor the turbo core is only going upto 2.4ghz before it used to go upto 2.8ghz PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!I resetted my laptop,updated drivers,etc
 09/05/2013 04:54 PM

Author Icon
cz5042
Peon

Hey! I am surprissed this topic lasted so long. From my problem I concluded the laptop was overheating, I returned it and after fighting for around 2 months with the store they changed it for a sweet Core i5 3210M, Toshiba as well. Never buying an APU again on laptops. That's may be your problem as well.

GL!

Statistics
81003 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.