Topic Title: Catalyst problems
Topic Summary: Windows 8 messed up my card
Created On: 01/03/2013 12:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/03/2013 12:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mandos99
Peon

Hi,

I recently began having problems with my dedicated graphics after installing windows 8. I have everything installed, and it seems to work for the most part, but I can't change power modes for the life of me. It also says "Catalyst Host has stopped working." a lot.

Graphics Card
- AMD Radeon HD 7450M for Lenovo U400
- no overclocking

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Driver version 9.0.0... Seymour graphics Lenovo for U400

Operating System
- Windows 8 64 bit.
- Windows 7 worked fine

Issue Details
- Upgraded to Windows 8, started having problems with setting card power, stays on power saver, uninstalled and reinstalled and wiped multiple times, did Refresh with Windows 8
- Catalyst Host often crashes, and can't change power mode from power saver
- haven't tried any due to this

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Whatever motherboard is in Lenovo U400, I can't tell; all I can see is ACPI x64 PC

Power Supply

- Lenovo U400 power supply

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- In computer screen; Generic PnP
- none

Applications and Games

- Always

CPU Details
- i7-2620M 1.7GHz, dual core, 4 logic cores,

Motherboard BIOS Version
- No idea how to tell (too lazy )

System Memory Type & Amount
- 8GB

Additional Hardware
- Normal specs of U400, small SSD

Additional Details
- Uninstalled and reinstalled, stock AMD installer can't find card, Lenovo unhelpful, tried to change WiDi settings

Any help at all would be great, sorry if it's a stupid mistake,

Thanks a bunch

Mandos

01/03/2013 04:46 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Does Lenovo sell your laptop model with Win 8 officially.....or support it on that OS platform?  If not, and you want stability, I would say put your previous OS back on there and be happy.  The reason I say this is laptops are not like desktops....with a desktop the manufacturers don't really play around all that much with customizing a hardware solution and you can get away with loading up a new OS on it and using reference drivers, because the components are mainly reference.  That is not the same with laptops though.  With laptops you are hard pressed to ever find a component that is reference (outside the CPU/GPU chip die) and therefore trying to run the non-reference hardware on reference drivers and software is hit and miss on whether or not you are going to have issues or not.

I would check out Lenovo's driver section for your laptop model as a start.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/03/2013 05:16 PM

Author Icon
Mandos99
Peon

I did get all the drivers, and they seem to work fine. When I reinstalled them the screen reverted back to normal, and the device manager seems to think the card has the right drivers. The drivers are specifically made for windows 8. My only problem now seems to be the inability to switch power modes. Is there any way to force a switch?

01/03/2013 05:34 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Sorry for the miscommunication but....did you get the drivers from Lenovo specifically or did you download them from somewhere else, like AMD....3DGuru.....Major Geeks...etc?

In any event....since this is a laptop, you may be best off speaking with one of Lenovo's support techs about this as it is there hardware/drivers.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/04/2013 09:48 AM

Author Icon
Mandos99
Peon

Yes the drivers are from Lenovo. 

Statistics
84276 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.