Topic Title: Freeze on 'Starting Windows' after driver installation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/06/2013 08:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/06/2013 08:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bavo
Peon

At some point my notebook Dell Studio 1749 with a ATI mobility HD 5650 fails to start windows 7 x64. Every time the system is started it freezes on 'Starting windows', showing some random colored pixels here and there on the screen.

When I remove the AMD Drivers and use the the MS 'Standard VGA Graphics adapter' the system boots fine.

I have tried installing drivers from the AMD website, the Dell website, the driver CD that was delivered with the notebook. These are all different versions of the AMD Drivers with still the same freeze when "starting windows". Every time I remove the drivers I can reboot en the system loads without a problem. Meanwhile I formatted the machine with a clean install of windows 7 x64, but the problem persists: freeze with drivers, works without drivers.

Does anybody have any suggestions what might be the problem or what steps I can do to fix the issue?

System specs:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Dell Studio 17/1749
Intel Core i5 450M
4GB DDR3
Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (1GB)

01/06/2013 12:25 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

You need to be here> http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=448&flcache=2017114&entercat=y

Read the stickys.

Read this> http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162444&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

01/09/2013 05:30 PM

Author Icon
Bavo
Peon

Thank you for moving the question to the correct forum, and for providing the link with the correct procedure for the driver clean and installation.

I followed the procedure by uninstalling "everyting AMD", rebooting, running the driver sweeper to remove all video driver files, rebooting. Then I downloaded the AMD drivers from the Dell website by service tag again (in my case it's a dell install package R259285 containing among others "ATI Setup" and "InstallManagerApp" application).

After installing the driver and rebooting, the system  freezes again at 'starting windows'. I can see the windows flag animation moving a short while untill it freezes, I assume that's when the ATI drivers are loaded.

Is there anything else I can try to fix this at a software level? Or is it possible that there is a hardware error that only manifests itself when the ATI drivers are installed? Are there maybe some generic drivers that allow to use at least full hd resolution in windows?

Statistics
88964 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.