Topic Title: Radeon HD 6400M and W8
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/08/2013 02:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/08/2013 02:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bb426
Peon

I'm using an early 2011 Macbook Pro with Radeon HD 6490M graphics. Since Apple provides very little to no support with Bootcamp and W8, I came here. Windows Update provides an optional update, WDDM v1.20, for Windows. I go to install it, and it restarts. I am able to log in, but by the time things start loading, Windows 8 restarts with a driver error related to the update. I end up having to do a system restore, and all is fine.My question is, is there another update elsewhere from AMD that would be newer than the update MS provides, that would update the driver without causing problems? Or should I just wait for an update from MS? I'm assuming that the update isn't compatible with either W8 or my graphics. Also, is there a way to install the Catalyst Control Panel? I can't get it to install, assumingly because of all the Bootcamp crap. Thanks in advance.
 01/10/2013 04:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

BootCamp is only supported by Apple, so they will be the only ones who can provide a working BootCamp driver for your system. The only mobility drivers offered by AMD are reference drivers, generic ones that aren't guaranteed to work due to changes made by the laptop manufacturer. Since your card will have been flashed with an Apple VBIOS by Apple, they will unfortunately be the only source for drivers for an Apple laptop with a Radeon card, whether in OSX or BootCamp.

-------------------------
AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
Statistics
88860 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.