Topic Title: Windows 8 drivers for AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4200/5470
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/26/2013 07:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/26/2013 07:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Nestar
Peon

There are absolutely no suitable Windows 8 drivers for my notebook. The notebook manufacturer does not offer any drivers.

Graphics card: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4200/5470

AMD Catalyst Version: tried everything (12.6 legacy, 12.6 windows 7, 13.1 windows 8)

Notebook: Medion Akoya P6512

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 P320

System Memory: 4GB RAM

Additional details: 12.6 drivers worked with Windows 7. However the newer drivers didn't work with the discrete card (minor issue). With Windows 8 nothing works at all.

01/28/2013 07:14 AM

Author Icon
Nestar
Peon

By the way, i addressed this problem to the AMD technical support. This is the answer they gave me. I will keep in contact with them until a solution is found. Until then I will provide you with the e-mails incase anyone else needs help on this specific problem.

Dear Sven,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200529426]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

[I understand that you are looking to obtain the compatible driver for MobilityHD4200/5470 for Windows 8 64bit. If this is incorrect, please let me know as information provided may change.

I would like to know if you have upgraded OS to Windows 8 or it was preinstalled in the laptop. If possible, please provide us the make and model of your laptop.

Please be advised that AMD offers a reference driver (as-is, limited support) for Mobility Radeon cards because laptop manufacturers will often optimize the laptop by adjusting certain capabilities or specifications of a graphics card to make sure that the entire laptop is running efficiently. Similarly, AMD cannot support changing the Operating System from the one that was distributed with the laptop, as certain hardware components may not be compatible with the new Operating System. As such, our reference drivers may not be compatible with your system. The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool (found at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx) helps you determine your notebook’s compatibility with generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers. It helps to prevent incorrect installation on incompatible notebooks which may lead to disabled features or functionality. If your system is compatible with our drivers, the installation tool will then install them. If the driver is incompatible, an error will pop up recommending that you contact the laptop manufacturer for drivers.

The exception for this is found with Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba. They have asked that we not provide drivers for their laptops, as they will provide them through their own support pages. As such, you will need to contact your system builder to obtain the most recent drivers for your system. Similarly, if our drivers are determined to be incompatible (via an error message saying that your hardware is incompatible with our software), then you will have to contact your laptop manufacturer for any drivers as they will be the exclusive source for drivers for your system.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reply to this e-mail directly and I will try to provide any additional information that you may require. Thank you for contacting AMD!

]

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

This email is a direct result of your contact with AMD Global Customer Care and not part of a campaign.  There is no need to unsubscribe to this email as you will only be contacted again if you directly request another service from AMD Global Customer Care.

The contents of this message are provided for informational purposes only.  AMD makes no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy of the contents of the information provided, and reserves the right to change such information at any time, with or without notice.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Original Text

To: tech.support@amd.com ;tech.support2@amd.com
CC:  
Sent: 01/26/13 20:50:07
Subject: Drivers do not work

Note: product description (HD 4300) is not true. There was no appropriate option. There are absolutely no suitable drivers for my notebook (AMD Mobility HD 4200/5470) for Windows 8. Legacy drivers (12.6) do not work. Current drivers (13.1) do not work. Notebook vendor does not offer any drivers.

01/28/2013 09:34 PM

Author Icon
Jorge007
Peon

Try Installing Mobility Catalyst 12.2. I use this driver on my laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon 4530. Modern UI apps work with this driver. Install in compatibility mode for Windows 7. 

32 bit Windows 8: http://www.general-files.com/download/gs4a7fcadch32i0/12-2_mobility_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc.exe.html

64 bit Windows 8: http://www.general-files.com/download/gs4aed0b25h32i0/12-2_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe.html

Hope this works for you. 

-------------------------

Jorge loves running everyday!

01/29/2013 05:59 AM

Author Icon
Nestar
Peon

Hi Jorge007, thanks for the idea but it didn't work out.

Installing the 12.2 drivers using Windows 7 compatibility mode resulted in a BSOD which made my device unusable.

-Nestar

01/29/2013 07:33 PM

Author Icon
Jorge007
Peon

I was also having problems finding a working Catalyst driver until I installed the one I mentioned. BSOD? Yikes! Hopefully you where able to uninstall the 12.2 driver. Does the microsoft AMD driver work? It should work fine except for OpenGlide games. I would just reinstall the OS your laptop came with. Hopefully you find a solution. 

-------------------------

Jorge loves running everyday!

Statistics
84957 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.