Topic Title: New Vid Drivers, Dx3D probs playing Eve Online
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/02/2013 06:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/02/2013 06:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
blunk_86
Peon

Purchased an Alienware M18xr2 with an AMD Radeon HD7970 2 months ago and started getting a "display driver stopped working-recovered" error message while in game with Eve Online

I contacted Alienware tech support and immediately she said it must be an overheating issue so she installed a temp monitoring program and cpu/gpu stress program to test the system. Of course the laptop overheated before the test was even done and she then said it was the gpu fan and would send a tech to replace it. (After replacing the fan the tech guy said there was nothing wrong with the old one.)

Then she proceeded to try and install new video drivers just because that's what techs do. From the get go there were problems installing the Catalyst program and when she finally got Catalyst to install it would not install the latest drivers. 5 or 6 times the alienware tech tried to install new vid drivers only to see in the device manager only one of the display adapters showing up correctly, the other display had the yellow error icon. Finally ended up with a driver from 9-2012 which i know isn't the latest one.

Ok now Eve Online seems to run fine but I cannot access the Eve test server Sisi without getting the BSOD.

Blue screen viewer telling me it's dxgkrnl.sys and dxgkrnl.sys+5d000 problem.

And now when I run dxdiag I get a message that some 3DX thing isn't working and will get the BSOD if I continue trying to run dxdiag.

Obviously I am not a computer wizard. I don't feel alienware techs are much better so I am hoping to find some here.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Pat

Statistics
86425 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.