Topic Title: How to locate usb filter drivers for laptops
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2013 11:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2013 11:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Billaboard
Peon

I have been asked to provide a guide to help users identify where to find "usb filter" drivers for older and current laptops. These used to be necessary to enable external usb 1.1 audio interfaces to work smoothly on machines with ATI graphice.

The url that I have pointed to optional drivers, where one could find the usb filter driver and the pdf which explained the need. Now the same url points to the latest drivers, which look different. I have expanded them into a directory on this machine, but can see no driver. Expanding the legacy drivers also gives a later version with no pdf and presumably no driver. Is this driver now built into some other part of the software?

What I am after is simple information so that I can point broadcast journalists and producers in the field towards the correct driver for whatever machine they use.

I have used the search facility on the site, but it just brings up a lot of info about problems with the southbridge hardware.

The laptop manufacturer's sites (eg Acer) don't usually include this crucial driver.

02/17/2013 02:33 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

USB Filter Driver is part of the Chipset Catalyst Suite...  just run it and if the USB filter is all you need only select that

QB

-------------------------

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

02/18/2013 05:37 AM

Author Icon
Billaboard
Peon

Many thanks QB.

I have now found the filter driver in the 13.1 sb set of files. This is a different version of the driver and is in Catalyst software that is labelled as referring to later chipsets that, for example the 4500 series that I have on a machine here.

When I search in the legacy areas, I cannot find the sb set of files, just the ccc set. These do not appear to contain the usb filter. I very prepared to admit that I have not done a thorough search, as I find these AMD/ATI sites very confusing.

The text file with the 13.1 filter driver says

AMD USB Filter driver is an upper class filter driver that needs to be installed when using platforms that have any of the following AMD hardware:
Ontario, Llano or Trinity APU paired with Hudson 1, Hudson 2 or Hudson 3 FCH
RS780 / RS880 paired with SB700 or SB8x0 GFX / SB chipsets

How do I get a non-technical person to check whether their machine is affected by this? Does this filter driver work across the range of ATI chipsets, or are different versions needed?

I would advocate a manual install rather than risk installing the Catalyst suite. I have often had problems on various machines with the full suite.

Sorry for all the questions.

Statistics
88977 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.