Topic Title: TDP Question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/06/2013 12:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/06/2013 12:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
donas82
Peon

Hi! I have a simple question regarding Max TDP:

I have a AMD MoBo 785GX SB 800, currently I have an AMD V140 @ 2.33 GHz Max TDP 25W processor but I´m looking to upgrade to an AMD Phenom II N970 @ 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Max TDP 35W processor...

My Question is this:

Is that 10W difference risky?? Would it work?? Would the processor performance be affected??

Please, Help!!

Thanks in advance!!

03/06/2013 01:34 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

In a desktop I'd say no, an extra 10 watts isn't much to worry about.  In a laptop things are.... different.  There's less space which makes it more difficult to dissipate heat.

Whether or not it would still work depends on how robust the cooling for your laptop is, how much the laptop power supply has to spare, and whether or not you would consider an annoying fan buzzing at you most of the time a deal-breaker.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/06/2013 01:42 PM

Author Icon
donas82
Peon

Actually, the fan doesn´t make a big deal of noise, but regarding the power supply I seldom use my laptop´s battery (mostly connected to DC), but not sure if it will provide enough power for the processor to run... the cooling systems consist on a couple of copper looking little pipes that go from the bottom midle section of the laptop (dissipators... maybe?) (where the processor is) and are connected to the fan and another heat dissipator that takes the heat out... the laptop has never got seriously hot, I mean, nothing noticeable at least, I think the cooling system is pretty good and should be able to handle the heat coming from those 10W diff... 

Additionally, I´ve check the AMD site for my MoBo and it states that it should be able to handle ANY of the Phenom, Turion or Athlon...  :S

Edited: 03/06/2013 at 01:52 PM by donas82
 03/06/2013 01:58 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

That's good it doesn't bug you now, but once you drop a chip with a 40% higher TDP in there it might.    I've always been a nutcase about noise though, so maybe that's just me.

Most laptops these days are using heat pipes to help dump heat from one place to another in tight spaces.  If you haven't noticed the cooling setup working overtime, then that's probably a good sign.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/06/2013 02:25 PM

Author Icon
donas82
Peon

Originally posted by: Mime That's good it doesn't bug you now, but once you drop a chip with a 40% higher TDP in there it might.    I've always been a nutcase about noise though, so maybe that's just me.

True that!! 

Most laptops these days are using heat pipes to help dump heat from one place to another in tight spaces.  If you haven't noticed the cooling setup working overtime, then that's probably a good sign.

Yeah, I´m assuming since my MoBo is S1G4 it should be able to handle any kind of Turion or Phenom II processors at any TDP... I´ll go ahead and give it a try!! 

Statistics
84670 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.