Topic Title: Drivers for HD 8000
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/11/2013 05:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/11/2013 05:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kelkin
Peon

I purchased a Samsung Series 7 Chronos touch-screen laptop which comes with a consumer version of Windows 8; since I need to join a domain I wiped out the install and performed my own install of Windows 8 Enterprise X64.As soon as I install the AMD video drivers via Samsung's Software Update utility, I am no longer able to enter sleep mode without Windows crashing and performing a bugcheck memory dump. The driver Samsung provides is labeled "AMD Solar WIN8,7 32_64bit Graphics Driver 9.003.5.0000-WHQL"I noticed an upgrade was available after installing that version, but any attempt to install the upgrade would result in a crash / bugcheck. Any attempt to uninstall the existing driver also results in a bugcheck. The only way to get around this was to wipe out the OS and reinstall from scratch. I have duplicated this problem several times so I refuse to install those drivers. When I call Samsung they have absolutely no technical expertise, tell me there are no known issues, and suggest I do a factory reinstall. Just for fun I did try that and the factory image seems to work just fine, installing Windows 8 on my own and installing the AMD drivers seems to be the problem here.Is there a link on AMD's website where I can download the latest drivers directly from them and see how this goes? Samsung's tech support is horrible and unless I can obtain the correct drivers I'll have to return the laptop as it's useless to me if I can only use the factory pre-installed consumer version of Windows 8.  According to the box the unit contains an Intel HD 4000 adapter and an AMD HD Radeon 8000 adapter. The AMD Autodetect application tells me I have an unknown OS and adapter, and the 8000 isn't even listed on the pulldown menu of drivers to download on AMD's website. Help!-Keith

-------------------------
-Keith
 03/11/2013 05:57 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Why didn't you look/post in the laptop forum? The answer is there in a big sticky....bottom line is that for as long as you own that laptop you will only have driver updates from the manufacturer of the laptop. That means 2-3 updates and your done. People don't realize that because they don't research enough...or check the manufacturers user forums.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=448&threadid=161340&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 03/11/2013 at 06:16 PM by stumped
 03/11/2013 07:02 PM

Author Icon
jynksie
Peon

You can get more detail here: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=164663&enterthread=y

I have since learned that the AMD graphics driver installed in the Samsung Series 7 Chronos #NP780z5E-s01ub is a pre released factory installed driver with no additional updates. Version 9.3.5.0. is all there is available until the AMD, I guess, releases the product and then Samsung will define what updates we will need. It is listed in devices as an 8700 Series AMD.

The reason the auto detect here at the AMD site cannot detect our AMD graphics driver is because it's not a released version they are supporting yet.

The fact that you uninstalled the windows 8 that came with the computer for another version ould very well be incompatable with the only AMD driver version Samsung is offering for that computer. There are no patches, or updates for this driver at all. Pre-release, as I am told, is, AS IS! Samsung informed me this morning any new updates for that driver will come when it's appropriate to release them.

Statistics
80968 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.