Topic Title: Troubleshooting laptop crashes
Topic Summary: Need help troubleshooting why my laptop crashes when plying games
Created On: 03/16/2013 11:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/16/2013 11:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kukkenbjerg
Peon

Greetings

First my problem

When I play games my laptop crashes with no BSOD, simply just restarts. It happens randomly, however mostly 10-30 min in game. It has always had this problem.

Computer specs.

• HP Pavillion g6 2141so (Bought it 8 months ago)
  • 2.3 GHz AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M APU
  • AMD Radeon HD 7660G + 7670M Dual GPU
  • 6 GB DDR3
Further info on computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&tmp_geoLoc=true&docname=c03380682
Driver info and CCC version
  • Catalyst-version: 13.1
  • Driver pack version: 9.012-121219a-151587C-ATI
Games which causes crash
  • Diablo 3
  • League of Legends
  • Dota 2
Games which do not cause crash
  • Civ V. GOTY

My own troubleshooting:
First I believed it overheaded. I had it sent to HP tech support and they changed the cooling fan, which indeed lower the temp. However crashes still accur. I've used Core Temp vers. 1.0 RC4 to log temp. while playing games and they did not exceed 80 degrees. The computer shuts down when reaching 95 degrees. Therefore I do not believe it's caused by overheating. I even bought a cooling pad, so when I play now it is stable around 73 degrees. 
I believe the crashes is caused either by a hardware problem or driver problem. 
Troughout the months of ownership I've done the following without resolving the problem.
  • Driversweep and fresh install of drivers to LAN card (Crashes accured when playing online games)
  • Driversweep and fresh install of drivers to graphic card + CCC (also tried different versions)
  • Rollback to factory settings of the computer. 
  • MemTest with no problems found. 
  • Updated all drivers to latest + BIOS. 

Some times I get a BSOD, however the bugreport usually doesnt give me anything: Unknown Issue, Hardwareproblem, atikmdag.sys (tried this solution: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363233)

Last I have tried HP support, however they believe that it's because the laptop isnt powerfull enough. I strongly disagry. I have played the same games on older pc with power much lesser than this. Also I can run the games with good to decent fps and no hickups, lags or faults in graphics. 

My problem is that I cannot find any other situation which exactly fits on my problem. Can it really be that this computer isnt powerfull enough for this games, and therefore just shuts down?

03/16/2013 03:01 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Use Who Crashed to find out the exact reasons.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 03/16/2013 11:24 PM

Author Icon
DogukanTRFB
Peon

I don't really think this is a graphic related issue. If it isnt from overheating, that means your computer is either unable to process the data or you have some weird virus. Try formatting, although it's the last option.

03/19/2013 11:27 AM

Author Icon
Kukkenbjerg
Peon

DogukanTRFB: My suspicion is based on that the crashes only happens when playing games with high graphic requirements. I suspect it's a driverfault becuase I've also tried FurMark to stress test it. Ran it several times for several hours with varius settings. Resulted in no crashes and temp. no way near critical. 

black_zion: Unfortunately WhoCrashed didnt tell me anything new. However I'll try to use Driver Verifier to provoke the fault. It'll just have to w8 till weekend because I'm rather busy atm. 

Thx you for your replies. I'll update as soon I get results, stumble upon a solution or give up. 

Statistics
85439 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.