Topic Title: Radeon HD 7570M: Trouble with proprietary driver on Ubuntu
Topic Summary: Console "shines" through, big problems with multi-screen or xinerama
Created On: 04/01/2013 11:42 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/01/2013 11:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kalsan
Peon

Hi people,

I'm using AMD Catalyst on Ubuntu 12.10 on a Radeon HD 7570M. In single screen mode, there is a black cursor blinking on the left hand part of the screen. Sometimes (e.g. USB device connected), console text comes through and disappears half a second later.

In multi screen mode, the external screen shows nothing but grey and when the mouse gets into it, it gets trapped (dragging it back to the laptop screen where it comes from just sends it to the other edge of the external screen, so that returning to the internal one is not possible). When I activate the option Xinerama, I'm experiencing bad trouble too.

How do I get a working graphics card?
Cheers, Kalsan 

04/18/2013 08:39 AM

Author Icon
kalsan
Peon

Anyone out there?

04/18/2013 02:07 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Nerfed

Here is some reference to downgrading driver for legacy cards, but seem

to apply for some of the newer cards also. In the discussion the 7650M is mentioned.

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to-fix-your-amd-graphics-in-ubuntu-12-10/

-------------------------

an Alpha Geek @ AMD Processors Forums | 01/21/2006 | post count 3217

04/19/2013 02:09 PM

Author Icon
kalsan
Peon

Thank you for your reply! Their server is currently down. I will try again later.

04/26/2013 12:18 PM

Author Icon
kalsan
Peon

Thanks! Installing Kubuntu is not an option for me. However, I got the problem more or less fixed (still weird behaviour from time to time, but now 2-screens work) the following way: Installing freshly Ubuntu 13.04 (don't upgrade, or you will never see your screen again!), installing fglrx (not -updates). It says that the hardware is incompatible, but, ironically, it is the solution that works best. Got rid of the incompatibility mark using: http://askubuntu.com/questions/25519/how-to-remove-amd-unsupported-hardware-without-reinstalling-the-driver caution: Read until bottom, there are 2 files to process.

Hope this helpes anyone in the future. Not sure if I'm just being lucky or if this solution really works as a patch.

Statistics
88947 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.