Topic Title: Catalyst Control Center not detecting graphics card
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/10/2013 08:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/10/2013 08:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
QQHH
Peon

A game on Steam suggested I update my graphics card driver.  So, I tried. Here's what happened.

I attempted to update the driver through amddriverdownloader.exe provided on ati.com and amd.com.  During the driver install (13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe) it crashed and restarted my PC with the did not shut down correctly message.  I started Windows normally.

Me, incorrectly thinking it worked for some reason, started Steam, saw the screen flicker black twice.  I'm now concerned.  I maximize the Steam window as a very basic test for the graphics card, and see something happen to me that maximizing a window has never done to me before.  My computer froze with white and light brown static.  CTRL - ALT - DEL had no effect.  I had to force shutdown.

Restarted, began to install driver, crash

Restarted, uninstalled all amd/ati using AMD Catalyst Install Manager

Restarted, what the hell. maximum resolution no longer 1920x1080.  Driver set to default graphics driver.

Restarted, used forum advice to roll ba... no driver to roll back to.  used furom advice to use device manager to update driver.

Restarted, works!  Re-downloaded Catalyst Control Center

Restarted, tested Catalyst Control Center and got error message.

"Catalyst Control Center cannot be started.

There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center."

I checked the AMD Catalyst Install Managers uninstall checklist and the driver was not listed there either.

It seems I can't use 13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe to install the driver.  So, is there a way to fix these two issues?

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.        

System Model: G73Jh

BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/30/09 15:13:23 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8116MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

Driver Name: atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Driver Version: 8.683.0.0

-------------------------
Why do drive-thru ATM's have brail?
 04/10/2013 09:15 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Number one rule: Never allow Steam or Windows update to update graphics.

Use the clean install method outlined here paying special attention to the netframework requirements for newer drivers > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162444&enterthread=y 

Download the driver suite here > http://benchmark3d.com/drivers-search

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

04/10/2013 11:30 AM

Author Icon
QQHH
Peon

I followed every step you provided and everything seems to work correctly again.  Sorry if I broke your number one rule, but at that current time and my current knowedge it was Device Manager or no graphics card.  I thought it would to be a no brainer for programmers in their programs to tell the users if they are missing some minor requirement like .NET v4.5.  I know i'd make that feature mandatory in all of my installs.

Thank you, i'm off to kill things.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I got 2 error messages during install.  Something to the effect of This version of Windows requires digitally signed drivers and these will not be used.

AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver

ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

EDIT 2: Forget what I said, not fixed.

Did some very basic stress testing.  Opened Steam.  Maximized and unmaximed it.  On the 3rd maximize my PC freezes and my screen turns to white, black, and , light brown vertical lines.

EDIT 3: In case your wondering, Steam worked perfectly fine before I got the bright idea of actually following through with a graphics driver update.

Edited: 04/10/2013 at 01:19 PM by QQHH
 04/11/2013 08:55 AM

Author Icon
QQHH
Peon

E-mailed AMD directly and got the traditional "It's not our fault, it's yours for trusting our software" message.  Anyway, they provided a link to the same .exe that stumped provided (On AMD of course).  Did a fresh install by stumped's instructions again, installing the driver only this time.  I now have different problems.

No unsigned driver problem during install and Steam no longer crashes by maximizing, but...

Selecting a different background causes my mouse cursor to freak out.  The cursor is now composed of four parts instead of 1 arrow.

Running a fullscreen game will occasionally flash the desktop and temporarily freeze the game i'm running.

Edit: Strange but not unseen on other systems graphical glitch when resizing window on certain programs.

Seems to be using at least 1 GB more ram since driver change.  Nothing out of the ordinary in task manager.

Edited: 04/12/2013 at 08:25 AM by QQHH
 04/11/2013 09:13 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: QQHH E-mailed AMD directly and got the traditional "It's not our fault, it's yours for trusting our software" message.  Anyway, they provided a link to the same .exe that stumped provided (On AMD of course).  Did a fresh install by stumped's instructions again, installing the driver only this time.  I now have different problems.

No unsigned driver problem during install and Steam no longer crashes by maximizing, but...

Selecting a different background causes my mouse cursor to freak out.  The cursor is now composed of four parts instead of 1 arrow.

Running a fullscreen game will occasionally flash the desktop and temporarily freeze the game i'm running.

Try disabling hardware acceleration...this can cause the cursor corruption. In IE go to  Tools > internet options > advanced and disable gpu/hardware acceleration.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

04/12/2013 08:37 AM

Author Icon
QQHH
Peon

Just now finished all malware scans.  Nothing except a handful of cookies.

I am now going to bed as I have been awake for over 36 hours.  Will check stumped's idea (disable hardware acceleration) and will also attempt to contact ASUS for drivers (AMD recommendation) when I wake up.

Basic OS browsing, most utility programs, and internet browsing (including browser games) does not seem to flip out the driver/card.

So far the only browser error was when I opened up too many tabs.  (Did not create a restart PC to fix problem.)

04/13/2013 06:30 AM

Author Icon
QQHH
Peon

On startup, laptop autoran CHKDSK, a first for this PC.  No bad file records or sectors.  Have not seen CHKDSK pop up again.

Started Steam to let it update games so I don't have a massive update session when this is fixed.  Was idly updating and another first... bsod.  Technical info

STOP:

0xA0000001, 0x0000000000000005, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

ignore previous specific graphical errors as graphic errors vary from startup to startup.

Tried stumped's turn off accelerated hardware idea, no effect.  I think turning off that option in IE only effects IE and things in IE.  I could be wrong, but i'd still like to see something to the contrary.

Remembered system restore and used it.  Restarted PC.  Restarted PC again.  Everything seems to work fine.  Ran a game that crashed my PC within 2 minutes without fail when I had the "updated" driver.  No crash, beat the game, No graphic error since.  Will probably never try to update the graphics card driver on this PC again.  If I do on any computer,  I will have a backup of the current driver and make a manual backup of the driver files.

This was a lot effort to try to avoid possible minor graphic errors in a game I just wanted to try.

Driver version is now 8.683.0.0 (Same version Device manager applied a couple days ago, but I didn't fully test it then.  I suspect it would've worked. (minus the other AMD programs earlier uninstalled by AMD Catalyst Install Manager )

Catalyst Control Center works again.

Rules:  #1 Consider all options  #2 Use what works best.

Statistics
86429 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.