Topic Title: Radeon 8870 on Samsung Ativ Book 8 not recognised by any browser
Topic Summary: If I run games the laptop switches over to the Radeon GPU just fine, but running webGL or 3d flash in chrome does not
Created On: 08/12/2013 02:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/12/2013 02:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
FlyOn
Peon

Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung Ativ Book 8 wich comes with the Radeon 8870 as a discrete GPU besides the internal Intel 4000 HD GPU.

If I run games the laptop switches over to the Radeon GPU just fine, but running webGL or 3d flash in chrome does not activate the discrete GPU.
( I check this with GPU-Z )

chrome://gpu does not even list it (only the Intel 4000 HD). 

same issue in firefox.

I have ofcourse configured "Switchable Graphics" to run on high performance in general, and also selected all browsers to run in high performance. 
The issue is the browser does not 'see' the Radeon GPU at all. 
Anything that can be done? Is this a driver issue?
Tnx,
 03/28/2014 01:23 PM

Author Icon
AleighS
Peon

I share your pain, I have an ativ book 8 with 8700m and intel graphics.

newer games all run great, older games run awful. I think that is a combo of the gpu setup and windows 8 because my older samsung laptop with a less powerful nvidia gpu and windows 7 could run anything I threw at it to at least medium graphics. (By older I am talking 1 year older tops)

I have updated to windows 8.1 and updated all drivers and software through samsung sw update, tried to update the gpu again through amd site, but when I select my graphics card and try to update...I am told there was no compatible hardware detected. When I try to change any settings in catalyst I only can see the intel graphics, or when I try change settings in older games like deus ex I am also only shows the intel graphics as well.

I have not found any solution to this problem, and maybe it is not a problem and you are only supposed to see the intel graphics in programs and it is more of a windows 8 issue...

I cannot share more than that right now. I plan to keep searching for whatever way I can possible get everything to run consistent on this machine and I will share any progress with you if I manage to find it.

03/28/2014 01:52 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: FlyOn

Hi,
I recently bought a Samsung Ativ Book 8 wich comes with the Radeon 8870 as a 
discrete GPU besides the internal Intel 4000 HD GPU.  
Then go to your laptop manufacturer and install the graphics driver for your model. Switchable graphics must use manufacturers drivers or you can use the Leshcat drivers.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

03/28/2014 01:54 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: AleighS I share your pain, I have an ativ book 8 with 8700m and intel graphics.

newer games all run great, older games run awful. I think that is a combo of the gpu setup and windows 8 because my older samsung laptop with a less powerful nvidia gpu and windows 7 could run anything I threw at it to at least medium graphics. (By older I am talking 1 year older tops)

I have updated to windows 8.1 and updated all drivers and software through samsung sw update, tried to update the gpu again through amd site, but when I select my graphics card and try to update...I am told there was no compatible hardware detected. When I try to change any settings in catalyst I only can see the intel graphics, or when I try change settings in older games like deus ex I am also only shows the intel graphics as well.

I have not found any solution to this problem, and maybe it is not a problem and you are only supposed to see the intel graphics in programs and it is more of a windows 8 issue...

I cannot share more than that right now. I plan to keep searching for whatever way I can possible get everything to run consistent on this machine and I will share any progress with you if I manage to find it.

Did you check with the laptop manufacturer to see if your laptop supports Windows 8.1? Just because it will run Win 8 does not mean it will run 8.1. If it is supported, they will have drivers for it, also check for a bios update.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

03/29/2014 12:13 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: FlyOn

Hi,
I recently bought a Samsung Ativ Book 8 wich comes with the Radeon 8870 as a 
discrete GPU besides the internal Intel 4000 HD GPU.  
This article is from HP but holds true for any brand:

Statistics
88878 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.