Topic Title: Graphics card not working after format
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/14/2013 04:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2013 04:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PimplyYouth
Peon

I recently formatted my Samsung laptop and reinstalled windows 8. Since doing so, none of my games have been playing on my dedicated graphics card, they have been using the interal Intel HD 4000. I've downloaded the Catalyst Control Centre and the driver for my graphics card, so even in device manager it says the graphics card should be working. 

However, if I play games on full graphics, like I used to smoothly, it now lags and clearly isn't using the dedicated graphics card. 

If I right click on the catalyst icon running in the taskbar it only comes up with my intel HD 4000 graphics, not my Radeon HD 8800m dedicated card. So, from what I can see, even though I've installed the driver and the catalyst control centre, they aren't seeing each other. 

Any ideas why this would be or how I can fix it? I've already gone into the catalyst control centre and set everything to "maximum performance" so it's not that either =/

08/14/2013 04:32 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Yes...go to your laptop manufacturers support site and download the drivers they supply. You might want to read the sticky "updating mobility drivers."

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/14/2013 04:55 PM

Author Icon
PimplyYouth
Peon

Irritatingly I I've already downloaded all the drivers Samsung supply for my laptop and still no joy. 

What's a sticky? :S

08/14/2013 05:19 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

On forums, a "sticky" will be a thread posted at the top of the category.  It is 'stuck' there by a moderator (such as myself) who has the option to do it.  Sticky threads are an easy way to make content as visible as possible.

What particular Samsung laptop do you have?

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

08/14/2013 05:24 PM

Author Icon
Mark@AMD
Peon

Did you download Catalyst from AMD's support page or from Samsung's support page?

With switchable graphics enabled laptop, it is recommended to use the driver that is located from the laptop manufacturer website. Try looking up the model # or the product # on Samsung support page to get the correct driver sets for your laptop.

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

08/15/2013 02:25 AM

Author Icon
PimplyYouth
Peon

I have a Samsung Chronos 7 Series Model number NP770Z5E. I read that sticky and it seems to have found my problem. I think, in upgrading from Windows 8 basic to Window 8 enterprise, I have lost compatibility with the standard driver Samsung offer. 

If you go to the Samsung website there are no downloads under my model, however, if you download the "SW" update tool, it allows you to see all relevant drivers for your model of laptop. It's here where I found the driver for my AMD Radeon HD 8850m. 

Do you think it's a good idea to contact Samsung and see if they have a version of the driver which will suit Window 8 Enterprise? 

I just think this is a bit weird because the driver still installs and without it the graphics card isn't visible in device manager, but even so, it doesn't show up when right clicking 'catalyst' in the system tray. It still only shows the internal graphics. 

08/16/2013 11:50 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

It is worth a call to Samsung.  I can't hurt.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

Statistics
84135 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.