Topic Title: query about switchable graphics behavior
Topic Summary: how does it work when two application with different profiles (graphics setting) are running at the same time
Created On: 08/15/2013 01:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/15/2013 01:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
masadwin
Peon

i have a dell vostro 3550 laptop with amd graphics and intel hd 4000 (or something)

heres what i want to know. even though amd has now included the option to switch graphics based on power source (battery or plugged in) and it works just as well as the setting based on application needs

but i was wondering, i usually use my laptop while plugged in, so therefore based on my power source, my laptop always keeps the amd card switched on, while it definitely provides much better performance, im concerned if using it constantly (as i said i rarely use my laptop on battery) will decrease its life significantly. "significantly" being the keyword, ofcourse using anything will wear it.

on the other hand, if i set my switchable graphics method to switch on application needs, ive noticed that if i assign, for example SKYRIM a high performance setting, it definitely runs alot smoother than power saving setting, but suppose i assigned VLC player a high performance setting (humor me) and power savings settings to google chrome, will both my GPUs be working (when vlc and chrome are being using at the same time), one assigned to chrome while other assigned to VLC or will AMD (high performance) just take over whenever an application with high performance setting is running

i know this was a long post but i was just trying to be as detailed as possible 

08/19/2013 02:35 AM

Author Icon
masadwin
Peon

bump

can anybody just explain to me this very simple concept?

tl;dr, in switchable graphics, do both GPUs work together based on application needs or the stronger GPU always take over when an application that requires high performance executes

08/21/2013 06:55 AM

Author Icon
masadwin
Peon

BUMPing i will keep

tell me someone please

08/21/2013 09:25 AM

Author Icon
Mark@AMD
Peon

Depending on the 3D application or software, the Discrete GPU (AMD Radeon) will be activated.

I don't think Chrome or browser in general has any difference in power saving or performance mode but for 3D gaming like Skyrim it is evident.

In summary, the AMD GPU will take over once you execute a program that requires high performance.

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

08/22/2013 12:27 AM

Author Icon
masadwin
Peon

thank you Mark@AMD, thats what ive been dying to know. Have a good day!

Statistics
85513 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.