Topic Title: Stuck at 400mhz
Topic Summary: AMD GPU Clock locked at 400mhz
Created On: 08/23/2013 03:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/23/2013 03:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Jamie
Peon

hey guys,

i was just wondering if anyone could help me i have the latest 13.8 beta 2 driver installed but my GPU clock speed is locked at 400mhz when playing games or just browsing the web.

i have an amd radeon hd 6490m + intel HD 3000

also i have windows 8 pro with WMC 64bit

kind regards,

Jamie

08/23/2013 04:15 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

What laptop?  Have you tried a thorough reinstall of the driver using the instructions in the sticky thread located, here.

Also, have you tried going back to an older driver?  Does the problem persist?

The community needs a bit more detail on the specifics with the issue, and any troubleshooting you may have done so far.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

08/23/2013 04:20 PM

Author Icon
Jamie
Peon

yes i have tried going back to an older driver and the problem does not persist. i have a  hp pavilion dv6-6176sa i use leshcats drivers. what i did was install 13.8 beta 1 from leshcat then install 13.8 beta 2 over the top but i still have everything with beta 2 swtichable graphics ect. just locked at 400mhz i have looked around the internet some people say problem to do with hardware accelleration but that was awhile ago. 

i also tried to create a profile and edit clock speeds within the profile also used amd overdrive but didn't change anything

*edit* when i reinstall the drivers i use the express uninstall then driver fusion to remove anything remaining.

08/23/2013 04:29 PM

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

Did you run the Mobility Tool to ensure that your laptop is compatible with our drivers? Does OverDrive allow you to change the clock speeds at all? Did you upgrade to Win8, or did you get it pre-installed with Win8?

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
 08/23/2013 04:34 PM

Author Icon
Jamie
Peon

i didn't run the mobility tool.

the overdrive allows me to change the clock speeds in 13.8 beta 1 and actually shows the results when gaming ect. but in 13.8 beta i can change the clock speeds but doesn't actually do anything still stays at 400mhz in gaming ect.

i upgraded to windows 8 from windows 7

*edit* ran mobility tool does say incompatible but how comes leshcat 13.8 beta 1 driver works? and 13.8 beta 2 works but just locked at 400mhz both include and are able to use siwtchable graphics too.

08/23/2013 05:01 PM

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

Leshcat doesn't check your hardware for compatibility, it just drops the drivers in. The Mobility Tool checks your hardware to ensure that it's compatible with our hardware. Since it's saying that you're hardware is incompatible, it means that our drivers won't end up working (hence the poor clocks).

Frustratingly, this means that you can only obtain drivers from your laptop manufacturer. Attempting to install our drivers manually will have unpredictable results, since your hardware's specs don't match up with what our software needs to run normally. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

AMD Customer Care

08/23/2013 05:04 PM

Author Icon
Jamie
Peon

damn. well thanks anyway. unfortunatly i cant find a HP driver for windows 8 and my product. so i'll just revert to 13.4 or 13.8 beta 1.

thanks anyway

kind regards,

jamie

08/24/2013 07:24 PM

Author Icon
Jamie
Peon

hey i'd just like to mention i managed to fix this problem by not installed the video transcoding and now have my full range of GPU clock speed.

09/01/2013 01:15 AM

Author Icon
cyricc
Peon

Originally posted by: Jamie hey i'd just like to mention i managed to fix this problem by not installed the video transcoding and now have my full range of GPU clock speed.

Wow, you're a life saver man. I've been over here pulling my hair out wondering why my 8970m Xfire is stuck at 450core 300memory and poof you had the answer! 

PS: My computer did pass the mobility validation tool, its a sager NP9390, and I'm currently running on beta 1 of the drivers. This issue popped up when I installed beta 2 and I have been uninstalling and reinstalling (but always with all features selected). So I installed beta 1 with video transcoding unchecked and magic.

Looks like you guys at AMD need to look into this please! 

Statistics
84125 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.