Topic Title: Unable To Connect To HDMI - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000
Topic Summary: Receiving error - This device cannot start (Code 10)
Created On: 08/25/2013 04:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/25/2013 04:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jmcconville18
Peon

I recently upgraded my laptop from windows 7 to windows 8.  While running windows 7 I was able to switch through all the projector options (duplicate, extend, 2nd screen only) with no problems.  Now that I have installed windows 8 I connect the hdmi cord and receive nothing on the TV. I first suspected the HDMI cord was bad but it works with my friends computer.  I've tried two different TV's and even another hdmi cord.  I then thought it was a driver issue but I re installed my graphics driver and made sure it was up to date and still no luck. When I go into device manager under "Display Adapters" my graphics card it has an error that says 

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)
{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful."
When I update the driver it says "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date." Is it possible that my graphics card is just not compatible with windows 8? 
My system specs are 
HP Pavilion dv6
Windows 8 Pro x64
graphics card
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series (WDDM v1.20)
 08/30/2013 04:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kent@AMD
Grinding Levels

We don't support changing the OS on a laptop, since there can be some components that aren't compatible with the new Operating System. First, you'll have to remove the existing Catalyst software, since the Win7 and Win8 suites are incompatible. Once it has been removed, check your laptop manufacturer's site to see if they have Win8 drivers available. If not, you can always try our drivers (use the verification tool at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx ) , but this might not be compatible with your laptop.

Either way, it's best to stick with what the laptop provider supports and provides. Our drivers may work, but they also may not, in which case you will have to revert back to Win7 (since your laptop is likely 3-4yrs old with that GPU, certain hardware might not be Win8-compatible)

-------------------------
AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.
Statistics
85795 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.