Topic Title: Annoying Stutter in Most Games
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/30/2013 10:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/30/2013 10:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rmc08
Peon

Specs:

• 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7970M (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer)
  • Catalyst Mobility 13.8 Beta 2 Drivers
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
  • CLEVO P15xEMx (SOCKET 0)
  • Intel Core i7 3720QM @ 2.60GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
  • 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • 238GB Samsung SSD PM830 256GB (SSD)
  • 466GB Seagate ST9500423AS (SATA)
I've been playing games and I have been recently noticing that no matter what game or what settings I have it played on, there is a stutter every few seconds. I thought maybe it was just in my head, but I used FRAPS to check frametimes of Tomb Raider and I know now for a fact that there is a stutter (See Below). Notice the right hand side of the chart. Other than those stutters you see, I'm getting 60+ FPS.
--
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive: http://i.imgur.com/50DTwDl.png
--
You'd think it wouldn't interrupt gameplay, but I can feel this tick in the back of my head whenever the game stutters and it's bothering me to the point where I don't want to play my games anymore. This is not the only game that this kind of thing happens in. I've seen it in games like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive,  Doom 3: BFG Edition, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, etc. Also, enabling V-Sync in any game also exacerbates the stuttering, with these weird slow downs and speed ups that make games unbearable (although it seemed to be running a bit better in Tomb Raider).
--
I tried contacting AMD support, and they recommended I completely remove the Catalyst drivers with 3rd party programs and install the 13.8 Beta 2 drivers. That did solve one issue of the fact that I couldn't install those drivers, but even now that they're installed, the new drivers still didn't fix my stuttering issue.
--
I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone so I came here in hopes that someone will know what's going on. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get rid of this problem (logs, debugging, etc)!
Thanks,
Rob

Edited: 08/31/2013 at 04:45 AM by rmc08
 08/31/2013 04:59 AM

Author Icon
DarkOrochi
Peon

The new AMD 13.8A and B Beta Drivers, only improves performance for DX11 and 10 API Games.  All the games you have listed except for TombRaider, and I am assuming this is the recent TombRaider title that features Directcompute and TressaFX, all the games you listed run on the old DX9 API.  TombRaider actually runs on DX11, and you should be able to see a big difference in frame latency on it.  If a future AMD 13.8C or D Beta Driver is released in the near future, it will probably cover DX9 API.  For the moment, A and B won't improve the games you listed as far as smooth frame-play.  If you really want to test the driver out, play World of Warcraft Online or Battlefield 3.  Both of them run on the DX11 API.API stands for Application Platform Interface.  It software made my Microsoft, that allow you to play games with the hardware in your laptop.  DX9 is like 5 years old, so it's an old API, and most of your recent titles still use it.  Planetside 2, Batman Arkham Asuylum, Skyrim, the new FFXIV A Realm Reborn, are all on DX9 or DX9c.  BF4 is an example of a game that will use DX11.1 API.  That's the new API.  With your 7970M, you should be able to play games on the new DX11.1 API.  Other videocards that don't can't use this particular API, won't be able to play BF4 on DX11.1.  It wouldn't surprise me if you could possibly play the game on DX11 or DX9 like you can on World of Warcraft.  They give you the option to switch the API in the game.Also, you are playing on a laptop.  So any form of graphic issues you might experience, could also be caused by bottlenecks with your hardware.  You need to realize that laptops aren't completely on the same level as desktops.  The hardware is actually limited on laptops, so the performance could actually be less than what you'd expect from a decent or top-notch desktop.  Core Frequency of your system is 2.60GHz.  It's do-able with the games you listed, but it wouldn't surprise me if you are suffering from some hardware handicaps and limitations...  You'll probably experience a CPU Bottleneck in TombRaider and BF3, at 2.8GHz...

-------------------------
I7 3930k @ 4.6
AsRock Extreme 11
Asus ROG Ares II
65.5 GBs DDR 3
 08/31/2013 09:44 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

You might want to check the "how-to & FAQ" for information on this issue. There are several possible resolutions for this issue..especially with laptops. The power saving features and thermal considerations being number one. Here and here. Also, it wouldn't hurt to read some of the posts in the LAPTOP forum. Also, a google search for 'Cool and Quiet' stuttering issues and how to disable it will help.

Edit: make sure you have "enable surface format optimizations" DISABLED/Unchecked in the control panel.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 08/31/2013 at 10:49 AM by stumped
 08/31/2013 01:03 PM

Author Icon
rmc08
Peon

Originally posted by: DarkOrochi The new AMD 13.8A and B Beta Drivers, only improves performance for DX11 and 10 API Games.  All the games you have listed except for TombRaider, and I am assuming this is the recent TombRaider title that features Directcompute and TressaFX, all the games you listed run on the old DX9 API.  TombRaider actually runs on DX11, and you should be able to see a big difference in frame latency on it.  If a future AMD 13.8C or D Beta Driver is released in the near future, it will probably cover DX9 API.  For the moment, A and B won't improve the games you listed as far as smooth frame-play.  If you really want to test the driver out, play World of Warcraft Online or Battlefield 3.  Both of them run on the DX11 API.API stands for Application Platform Interface.  It software made my Microsoft, that allow you to play games with the hardware in your laptop.  DX9 is like 5 years old, so it's an old API, and most of your recent titles still use it.  Planetside 2, Batman Arkham Asuylum, Skyrim, the new FFXIV A Realm Reborn, are all on DX9 or DX9c.  BF4 is an example of a game that will use DX11.1 API.  That's the new API.  With your 7970M, you should be able to play games on the new DX11.1 API.  Other videocards that don't can't use this particular API, won't be able to play BF4 on DX11.1.  It wouldn't surprise me if you could possibly play the game on DX11 or DX9 like you can on World of Warcraft.  They give you the option to switch the API in the game.Also, you are playing on a laptop.  So any form of graphic issues you might experience, could also be caused by bottlenecks with your hardware.  You need to realize that laptops aren't completely on the same level as desktops.  The hardware is actually limited on laptops, so the performance could actually be less than what you'd expect from a decent or top-notch desktop.  Core Frequency of your system is 2.60GHz.  It's do-able with the games you listed, but it wouldn't surprise me if you are suffering from some hardware handicaps and limitations...  You'll probably experience a CPU Bottleneck in TombRaider and BF3, at 2.8GHz...

I should also point out that my friend is running very similar hardware on his Alienware M17x (same GPU, similar CPU, etc) so I definitley should not be having any issues whatsoever (i.e. I get stuttering issues in Bioshock Infinite, he does not). Also, if the above was true, why do I still have stuttering issues in a DirectX 11 game like Tomb Raider? It's clearly stuttering as told by the benchmark. Whether or not this is a laptop, it's unacceptable to have BRAND NEW hardware unable to play recent titles, let alone older titles like Bioshock 1 (which also stutters).

Originally posted by: stumped You might want to check the "how-to & FAQ" for information on this issue. There are several possible resolutions for this issue..especially with laptops. The power saving features and thermal considerations being number one. Here and here. Also, it wouldn't hurt to read some of the posts in the LAPTOP forum. Also, a google search for 'Cool and Quiet' stuttering issues and how to disable it will help.

Edit: make sure you have "enable surface format optimizations" DISABLED/Unchecked in the control panel.

Edit: I tried UPLS and nothing seemed to happen. As for the forum response on the CPU, it is not my CPU that is at fault. I checked resource monitor while playing games to make sure of that, there is no spiking issues.

--

Edit: Tried the Cool and Quiet stuff, but my BIOS is very limited so I can't seem to disable anything. Also, "enable surface format optimization" is not an option in CCC, or Windows 7 control panel.

--

Final Edit: If you're reading this, I've come to the conclusion that AMD drivers are, and always will be, very very very bad. They know that there are issues with some of their GPU's, and avoid helping others to fix these issues at all costs, simply because they can't fix them and don't want to admit it. So do yourself a huge favor and go with NVidia next time, because they actually care about your gaming experience, and take into account that you've dropped hundreds of dollars on hardware so that you can play video games, releasing drivers weekly for your pleasure.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 01:46 AM by rmc08
 09/02/2013 09:45 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Cookie Monster

Final Edit: If you're reading this, I've come to the conclusion that AMD drivers are, and always will be, very very very bad. They know that there are issues with some of their GPU's, and avoid helping others to fix these issues at all costs, simply because they can't fix them and don't want to admit it. So do yourself a huge favor and go with NVidia next time, because they actually care about your gaming experience, and take into account that you've dropped hundreds of dollars on hardware so that you can play video games, releasing drivers weekly for your pleasure.

if there drivers are so bad,then why do the majority of us have 0 to no issues?

I have been using AMD/ATI card's since the 9600 pro days and have yet to have an issue.I tried an Nvidia card (evga 560ti 448 classified)last december,lasted 2 whole hours before it died.

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

09/02/2013 10:34 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Here here, the only issues I've ever had that were attributable to the drivers was way back in the infancy days of Catalyst and Windows 98 and getting them to install without error. If you look over at the nVidia forums you will see that just as many people have issues with them as well, some of them fatal. I can think of two driver releases nVidia made which caused cards to overheat and die, and then deny warranty service to them.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/02/2013 07:35 PM

Author Icon
rmc08
Peon

I found what the issue could be, potentially a spike in the frequency (i.e. spike from 2777MHz to 3666MHz then back down) of my CPU. It seems to be in line with when a game skips frames. I don't know if the AMD drivers are causing this or if my CPU is faulty or what, but I know for a fact that it directly affects my games.

09/02/2013 09:33 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Originally posted by: rmc08 I found what the issue could be, potentially a spike in the frequency (i.e. spike from 2777MHz to 3666MHz then back down) of my CPU. It seems to be in line with when a game skips frames. I don't know if the AMD drivers are causing this or if my CPU is faulty or what, but I know for a fact that it directly affects my games.

"

Edit: I tried UPLS and nothing seemed to happen. As for the forum response on the CPU, it is not my CPU that is at fault. I checked resource monitor while playing games to make sure of that, there is no spiking issues.

--

You want to try this again? http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=166968&enterthread=y

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

09/02/2013 10:28 PM

Author Icon
rmc08
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: rmc08 I found what the issue could be, potentially a spike in the frequency (i.e. spike from 2777MHz to 3666MHz then back down) of my CPU. It seems to be in line with when a game skips frames. I don't know if the AMD drivers are causing this or if my CPU is faulty or what, but I know for a fact that it directly affects my games.

"

--

You want to try this again? http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=166968&enterthread=y

I meant that other processes weren't spiking the CPU usage, but yes I will try the CPU parking utility.

--

Edit: The problem persists =/

--

P.S.: Thank you for all the help so far, the issue is just really frustrating because it's hard to pinpoint the issue.

Edited: 09/03/2013 at 04:03 AM by rmc08
 09/03/2013 05:31 AM

Author Icon
DarkOrochi
Peon

Between 2.7GHz to 3.7GHz, that's a massive dip in CPU Core Frequency.  Core Voltage probably took a massive dip.  Like a 0.5 to 1.0 volt dip.  This could explain any frame latency issues you're currently having if this happens frequently during the game.Since you're on a laptop, I would suggest setting all power settings to max performance with the battery.  When you're playing the game, make sure the ac adapter is pluged in.  Power the Laptop while you play.  If you're playing PC games without the AC adapter plugged in, the drop in core voltage is probably the laptop's software trying to conserve battery life...  So it will drop the voltage on the core to prolong battery life.  That could explain the massive drop.  As a result, it will cause some latency between frames.I would suggest looking at Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Saving --> enable "High performance."  Play a game, and check to see if you're still getting micro-stutters in TombRaider...The AMD Beta Driver 13.8 B or A, doesn't do anything to yours CPU.  I would also suggest making sure you update your CPU INF Driver and BIOS through the Laptop's vendor.

I7 3930k @ 4.6
AsRock Extreme 11
Asus ROG Ares II
65.5 GBs DDR 3
Statistics
81005 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.