Topic Title: 7450M Driver Does Not Install
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/25/2013 06:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/25/2013 06:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ivan Spaji?
Peon

I own a Dell Vostro 3350 with an AMD ATI Radeon 7450M. The problems started about a year ago when the driver simply stopped working. I remember the countless reboots to enable the card again and use it.

Some more time passed and I had to reinstall my OS several times. Right now it is Windows 8 Pro (64-bit).  When I tried reinstalling the driver, the installation process would reach a point where the dialogue window tell you: "The screen may flicker during the driver installation...". At this point the screen would simply go completely black, and everything would stop working. The OS would crash.

Much more time passed after having tried the above process about a hundred times. I, then, tried to install the driver manually by going into Device Manager, through Control Panel and letting the program search for a driver. I remember failing many times with this too, however it did happen to work once or twice. After a while, it would just stop working and I would be forced to reinstall and fail.

In the last year I switched back and forth between Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8 Pro just trying anything to make the card driver work again. Nothing helped.

I then used an installed Dell Bios Utility program to check for all my hardware components. The program reported that the card was fine and it had passed all the test performed. However if I try to check my card specifications through programs like CPU-Z, I get no information on the card except for it being an AMD and having negative memory size. This boggles my mind.

Does anyone know any other forms of manual installation which would perhaps help the situation? Is my card busted? Is the driver that Dell supplied corrupt?

Edited: 09/25/2013 at 06:57 AM by Ivan Spaji?
 09/25/2013 01:06 PM

Author Icon
Shpati
Peon

Has the laptop been repaired at all since you got it?

Also, it is doing this for all drivers (drivers from the ATI site and the OEM drivers from the manufacturer)?

-------------------------
 09/25/2013 01:13 PM

Author Icon
Ivan Spaji?
Peon

The only repairs done on the laptop throughout the past year were two harddisk replacements. This was the reason behind one of many OS reinstallations. As far as the card goes, nothing was done to it.

The only driver failing is the AMD driver supplied by Dell. The driver from the vendors website cannot be found. I get a ridiculous excuse telling me my graphics card does not exist.

Edited: 09/25/2013 at 01:38 PM by Ivan Spaji?
 09/25/2013 01:20 PM

Author Icon
Shpati
Peon

Is everything else up to date, like Net Framework.

09/25/2013 01:40 PM

Author Icon
Ivan Spaji?
Peon

Yes, it is. I had to go through the manual installation of .NET 4 through the Windows 8 Boot disk due to the fact that the installation process from the installer downloaded from Microsofts website just wouldn't make it. It would fail half way through the installation.

Could .NET be the problem?

09/25/2013 01:56 PM

Author Icon
Shpati
Peon

Im not expert, but hopefully someone else can help you.

But it sounds like a hardware failure to me, because u tried several restores and updates from ATI and the oem are messing up.

09/25/2013 03:31 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Ivan Spaji? The only repairs done on the laptop throughout the past year were two harddisk replacements. This was the reason behind one of many OS reinstallations. As far as the card goes, nothing was done to it.

The only driver failing is the AMD driver supplied by Dell. The driver from the vendors website cannot be found. I get a ridiculous excuse telling me my graphics card does not exist.

You are getting that message because you must use the specialized drivers from the laptop manufacturer....as stated in "Updating Mobility Drivers". Your other choice is to use the Leshcat drivers..a link to which is in a post in this forum.

Netframework should be up to date (version 4.5)...you might go to Windows update, check for "optional" downloads. Netframework is not automatically downloaded and installed.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
86434 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.