Topic Title: AMD Catastrophic problems!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/07/2013 09:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/07/2013 09:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DancinPuppeh
Peon

For some reason my CCC has decided it just doesn't want to work no matter what!

My drivers got messed up randomly last week so I decided to reinstall and install the 13.9 CCC. for my chip, AMD Radeon HD 7000M series. When I did so it completed the installation with no errors untill the very end. At the end it said installation had an error, view log. From viewing the log it told me that the drivers don't match any of my devices (I know 100% for sure their correct because I even tried it a second time with the auto detect and got the exact same problem)

This error caused the broken catalyst to just vanish and remove it's self entirely. I attempted to reinstall it a vew times using all the different methods AMD provide and got no luck. Everytime I attempted to install any AMD drivers after getting this error I got an error before installation telling me I don't have any compatable hardware (when I clearly do)

I was forced to reformat my laptop to revert to factory default drivers because my restore points are broken and have been broken for a long time. This gave me the default drivers which work fine but they we're quickly removed by a windows update for god knows what reason. And from there I was stuck with the exact same problem I had before.

My graphics card is working because before Windows managed to remove the drivers for AMD I managed to play a game using the AMD graphics adaptor, so I'm 100% sure my graphics card is intact and it's a software error not hardware.

I was unable to find any older versions to download as my CCC and drivers we're working perfectly in older versions.

Though I did manage to grab a Feburary 2013 version from Dell (My laptop provider) which appeared to install perfectly fine as it didn't give me a single error but after the installation nothing was actually installed.

But this point I'm giving up on PC gaming entirly and going back to the simple life of consoles cause what the actual *****

10/07/2013 09:40 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

That's a laptop. Use the driver packages provided by Dell and do not use any Windows Update provided graphics driver.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/07/2013 09:49 AM

Author Icon
DancinPuppeh
Peon

I'm not using Windows Update graphics. It was the Windows Update that broke my drivers. The Drivers provided by Dell give me the exact same problem as the drivers I normally get from AMD. And up until now I've had no problem with AMD drivers provided from AMD's website.

10/07/2013 09:54 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

That's not what you said:

I was forced to reformat my laptop to revert to factory default drivers because my restore points are broken and have been broken for a long time. This gave me the default drivers which work fine but they we're quickly removed by a windows update for god knows what reason. And from there I was stuck with the exact same problem I had before.

If Dell's drivers give you problems then you need to talk to Dell, AMD provides generic drivers for mobility cards which can cause loss of functionality.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/07/2013 02:25 PM

Author Icon
DancinPuppeh
Peon

I went to Dell first and they told me they can't do anything about it because AMD is nothing to do with them so they can't provide any knowledge on the way AMD drivers work

10/07/2013 02:54 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Updating Mobility Drivers (sticky)

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=448&threadid=161340&enterthread=y

quote: " My drivers got messed up randomly last week so I decided to reinstall and install the 13.9 CCC"" unquote. Drivers don't get messed up randomly. You or a gremlin were trying to make 'my drivers better/my game run better/more fps/like I read/my friend told me/I read on a forum'..and screwed up your computer. If the drivers that your LAPTOP manufacturer supplies for that laptop doesn't work/install then reinstall your OS and never mess with the graphics driver again. It's not a AMD issue..the problem is sitting in front of the keyboard.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/08/2013 07:25 AM

Author Icon
DancinPuppeh
Peon

I've fixed my problems now and I think I found what caused it. From carefully watching the Device Manager while Uninstalling and Installing CCC 13.9 I found 13.9 CCC is NOT compatable with switchable graphics like it says it is.

Because when installing 13.9 Intel HD 4000 drivers automatically override the drivers with their own due to compatability issues. 

I solved this by downloading and installing an older version of CCC from a third party provider since as far as I know AMD don't provide previous versions, which would have solved my issues right away if they did.

For anyone having the same problem as me the site I got my older version from is http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/amd_catalyst_13_4_whql_download,5.html

That is for Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 for AMD Radeon HD 6000M and above. I downloaded 13.4 because 13.8 also had a terrible reaction with my system and caused my screen to permenetly turn black.

AMD should seriously consider error checking a bit carfully before releasing updates as this is far from minor bugs and glitches. When it's causing bluescreens and blackscreens.

Statistics
84348 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.