Topic Title: Has AMD dropped support for the HD 6700M series in Windows 8.1?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/18/2013 02:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/18/2013 02:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Phlogiston
Peon

I am currently using an HP dv7qe laptop (Model: LM422AV) with a Radeon 6770M inside, and I recently installed Windows 8.1 on it. After doing so, the drivers entirely broke, and I am unable to play games or do anything with it no matter what drivers I install -- whether they're the recommended ones the page, or the last one that worked, or the latest beta, they all don't work.

I finally decided to scroll down the current Revision 13.11 beta page and under the family compatibility and I noticed that the 6300M, 6800M, and 6900M graphics adapters are supported, but the 6700Ms aren't listed. This strikes me as odd, because even the HD 5700 Series is supported.

Does that mean that my laptop, which was brand new only two years old only two weeks ago, is already outdated and irrelevant? If anyone has any news or advice on this, please do pass it onto me. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my graphics working again, and I am truly up a creek.

(Note: I accidentally posted this in two forums, but I don't know which one to keep it in. Would a moderator help me out?)

10/18/2013 05:21 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

AMD didn't drop support as they never had it in the first place. As written in the laptop section/faq/wherever, laptops are supported by the OEM, not by AMD.

The generic mobility drivers exist for 2 resons: 1. They work for some configs, 2. OEMs make their drivers out of it.

What I suggest is being patient. It's been only a few hours since 8.1 was released. In the meantime, you can contact HP and tell them to hurry up with adopting the new drivers.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

10/18/2013 02:58 PM

Author Icon
Phlogiston
Peon

So I called HP and they effectively told me to ***** off because it was Microsoft who dropped the ball and the laptop came with Windows 7, so I need to put up or shut up.

Then I called Microsoft to ask if there's anything to be done, and they said it wasn't their problem and I can only do a clean install back to Windows 8.

I've tried to get in contact with AMD so they can tell me to ***** off too, but they haven't responded to call or email during business hours and I have a feeling they're just going to say something like "it's HP's/Microsoft's problem, call them.

What I don't understand about your reply though, Eydee, is where you say it's the OEMs who make the mobility drivers work and thus it isn't AMD's responsibility to make them compatible with their own graphics adapters. On Windows 8, I had Revision 13.4 installed and working just fine even though HP (my OEM) didn't give it to me or tailor it to my laptop model -- I just had to download it straight from amd.com and it worked. Now AMD has made a Windows 8.1 compatible driver but, for reasons unknown, has dropped support for the 6770M series (and yet still supports the 6300Ms, 6800Ms, and hell even the 5700s). How is the ball not in AMD's court?

10/18/2013 05:04 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

From the sticky "Updating Mobility Drivers"

Quote:

" The AMD Mobility Radeon™ graphics driver supplied by the notebook manufacturer is customized for the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. It is recommended to use the drivers provided by the notebook manufacturer.

If installing an operating system other than the one currently supported by the notebook, the notebook may not meet all requirements. As such supported graphics drivers may not be available. "

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
85545 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.