Topic Title: AMD HD6650M appears to be having a few issues
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/29/2013 02:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2013 02:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thebombadillo
Peon

I've recently had to reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop and it appears my AMD driver (or something) isn't working properly. When I play a wide range of games, often ones that require Direct X10 or plus they crash immediately to the desktop. I've tried updating Dirext X etc.

When I type in that I need the latest driver for the 6650M on the AMD website it asks me to download the catalyst mobility driver thingy, but when my computer opens it up, it says it is not valid for this computer. I really don't know where to go from here, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

11/03/2013 09:30 AM

Author Icon
ntgamers
Peon

Not trying to hijack your thread but the latest drivers do not appear to even support the 6650m in any capacity and it's really starting to push me away from AMD products after so many years of being a die hard amd user.

System Specs

Lenovo z575 laptop

AMD A6-3420M quad core llano APU with 6520G 1.5ghz base 2.4ghz turbo (overclocked to 2.6ghz)
8gigs of ddr3 1333 low latency ram dual channel

AMD 6650m video card (dedicated supposedly)

750GB 7200rpm sata3 harddrive

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 

So here is my story of trying to get the latest drivers installed on this system and wasting about 8 hours of my saturday fighting amd and lenovo, so the latest drivers from Lenovo for this laptop are dated December 2011 which is horribly outdated and doesn't include any recent game optimizations or frame pacing fixes (since dual graphics doesn't even work according to tomshardware... i guess that's a moot point) http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS025985

So the drivers on the lenovo site seem to work but the performance isn't that great given how outdated the drivers are so i set out on a quest to get the latest drivers installed and here were my results

13_1 mobility drives -> no inf file found for driver (6650m) -> 6520g gets updated to latest but 6650m doesn't causing black screens and system lock ups on reboot

Latest beta driver -> no inf file found for driver (6650m) -> 6520g gets updated but CCC won't launch and system hangs randomly

The latest drivers i could get to work are 12_10 which got me this far

12_10 -> graphic drivers updated fine but 6650m now shows as 6600/6700 series and not as a 6650m leading me to beleive these drivers only kinda work for the 6650m at least well enough not to crash on me -> 6520g gets updated -> had to do registry trick to disable ulps before rebooting after install -> CCC wouldn't launch -> uninstall CCC -> reinstall CCC -> reboot -> system frozeon -> boot into safe mode -> reenable ulps registry keys -> reboot -> system working, no freezes, bf3 running on a mix of medium @ about 40fps which makes me wonder if the 6650m is doing anything at all.

Also running 12_10 if I unplug the laptop during a 3d application the entire system will freeze forcing me to hold the power button until the computer shuts down and reboot, this entire experience has been very frustrating and where as I used to recommend people buy AMD APU/Dual graphics laptops as a good cheap gaming experience I have now seriously started to question that logic seeing as the 6520g gets the latest drivers which include a 5% bf4 improvement for the latest beta drivers and the 6650m isn't supported past 12_10 which is over a year old and doesn't include any of these performance improvements that I would really like to have on this system seeing as the hardware is there, the driver appears to support the APU gpu but for the life of me I can't get the 6650m supported which just puts a bad taste in my mouth since dual graphics doesn't work at all and if the 6650m isn't supported then im stuck running old graphic drivers that are horribly outdated and lenovo doesn't appear to have any desire of releasing another driver so I look to AMD for drivers yet those don't work either because somewhere down the road someone forgot about the 6650m

11/03/2013 11:06 AM

Author Icon
ntgamers
Peon

So i took some time this morning to try to figure out the difference between the latest beta drivers and the lenovo provided drivers and it appears that the hardware id identifying the 6650m is not included in the latest drivers which would explain why the error appeared saying "No inf file found" when trying to install, I took the liberty to modify the inf files to include the hardware id / localized string for the 6650m but I cannot guarantee they will work for anyone as I have not had a chance to test this my self but from what I can tell there is no reason it shouldn't work assuming that was all that was missing was the hardware id to add support for the 6650m as a card since other vancuver series cards appear to be supported in the latest drivers just this one seems to have slipped through the cracks, I'm waiting for my upload to complete and I'll post back when its available for download but it should be as simple as unzipping the file and running setup just like normal of course run at your own risk I'm just trying to do the community a favor since AMD doesn't seem interested in supporting this older card at all.

11/03/2013 12:07 PM

Author Icon
ntgamers
Peon

Upload is complete, use at your own risk and if you do use please let me know your results as I think it should resolve the issues.

http://asmithdev.com/asmithdev/AMD_Catalyst_13.11_BetaV8.zip

11/09/2013 03:38 PM

Author Icon
ntgamers
Peon

In case anyone is wondering the drivers i made actually do work and recognize the 6650m without problems , if you have a lenovo z575 or a system with a 6650m and you want some newer drivers then i would try the ones i modded.

BF4 also runs pretty damn well on these drivers

Statistics
86373 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.