Topic Title: My games won't display the right driver in-game
Topic Summary: My games use Intel(R) HD Graphics Family instead of my Radeon HD 6490M
Created On: 12/04/2013 02:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/04/2013 02:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Physii
Peon

Hey guys, I've currently been having some problems with my games. It's nothing too serious it's just that I recently found that with all the games I play on my computer, it doesn't give me the option to switch to the other graphics card, for example, It will have a drop down menu for drivers --- and it displays Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, which has served me fine but I know I could get more performance out of the other graphics card.

I have messed around with catalyst control center but it has not given me the option to set in-game drivers. All my Intel(R) and AMD drivers are up to date as far as I know. Any help at all is appreciated!

My current setup: Cards:Radeon HD 6490M, Intel(R) HD Graphics Family,

CPU: 2.20 GHz (8 CPU)

Computer: 64-bit Samsung Laptop

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2675QM

RAM : 8 GB

BIOS: Phoenix SecureCore-Tiano(tm) NB Version 2.1 13FD

System Model (Motherboard?): 700Z3A/700Z4A/700Z5A/700Z5B

12/04/2013 02:42 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Here is a article that explains the switchable graphics in laptops...it's for HP computers, but the info is basically the same no matter what the brand. See if this helps. You also can (probably) set the graphics to 'fixed' instead of 'dynamic' (switchable) in the computer BIOS.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=448&threadid=168570&enterthread=y

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/05/2013 01:01 AM

Author Icon
Physii
Peon

Yeah, I just configured the Catalyst Control Center to use high performance on my games, but I still cannot find my driver on the in-game video options drop list. Do you know how I can get it to use the driver I want it to use?

12/18/2013 05:36 PM

Author Icon
JTUnhold
Peon

Hey Physii, same problem here, but with Radeon HD 8750M and Intel. My problem is mostly with Skyrim (the only game where you can see it doesn't detect the Radeon), but Bethesda won't help me.

I'm going to swap the notebook at the store and see if it changes.

But if you find a solution, please write it down here

12/26/2013 01:21 PM

Author Icon
Physii
Peon

Hey JT, I did some further research and like stumped posted you can find the answers in the 'Catalyst Control Center' I currently have a 'switchable graphics card' meaning that I can tell it to power save or to have better performance. To figure out if you have controllable graphics you open up the Catalyst Control Center and go to 'start' --> 'Power', from there it will tell you whether or not you have switchable graphics. If you do, you can then browse for the TESV.exe file for skyrim and it will give you the options for power saving or for high performance. Choose High performance so it prioritizes your graphics. When I did this I did notice a significant difference with the game performance so perhaps it will work for you.

Shorter version: Right click on desktop, 'Configure Switchable Graphics', browse other applications, select TESV.exe from your steam/common folder " (if you use steam) then select 'High Performance' I hope this helps you better.

Statistics
85439 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.