Topic Title: amddriverdownloader won't install catalyst driver
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/05/2013 07:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/05/2013 07:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
eagle1324
Peon

I first downloaded the amddriverdownloader, and after downloading the driver I hit "Finish". But after I hit the finish button it only goes away and does nothing and there is no sign that tells me to restart or anything. 

12/05/2013 08:02 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

First read this. If your computer doesn't fall into one of those catagories, then tell us what the make and model of your laptop is and what your graphics chip and OS is.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

12/09/2013 04:41 AM

Author Icon
dsperber
Nerfed

I tried to use the amddriverdownloader myself, to get the latest driver suitable for use with my Lenovo M93p desktop machine which I bought configured with an HD8570 video card.  The HD8570 is not listed explicitly as a device when you try to go through the normal driver download dropdown lists, so I thought the automatic driverdownloader (which checks the hardware on your machine) would work instead.

Once you download the amddriverdownloader file, you must then launch it yourself from wherever you downloaded it to. It does not auto-launch following download, but it runs once you launch the downloaded file yourself.

But even then, it did not recognize my HD8570!!  So it did not present or download the correct Catalyst driver package for me to use.  I suspect that just like the driver download web page, AMD has simply not gotten around to updating either the web page to show the HD8570 device nor the automatic device downloader program to recognize the HD8570.

Nevertheless, I decided to just try it myself and went ahead with the install of standard normal v13.9 Catalyst WHQL for desktop graphics cards, which I noticed DOES SUPPORT THE HD8570 according to its INF file.

And sure enough the complete v13.9 install succeeded, upgrading what appeared to me to be an old v12.x that had been pre-installed by Lenovo to support the HD8570 on the newly delivered M93p desktop machine.

I assume AMD will correct all of these problems eventually. But for now, (1) the driverdownloader does not auto-launch when download finishes, (2) the driver download page does not recognize the HD8xxx card family, and (3) the actual driverdownloader program also does not recognize the HD8570.

Statistics
80929 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.