Topic Title: Black screen, automatic shutdown after uninstalling amd software
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2013 08:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2013 08:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
STUish
Peon

Hello, due to the nature of this case, I'm afraid I cannot fill out the recommended template. but I will still try.

I have an "envy m6" HP laptop which has switchable graphics between the onboard Intel GPU and what is, from memory, a 6600m amd graphics card (that could be very wrong).

The version of Catalyst installed was 13.11.

I was tried to unistall what I thought was CCC 13.11 (though it was only listed as "Catalyst manager" or something similar in programs and features) only to be told that it was corrupted and that the process was interupted. Instead I used the CCC 13.9 setup to uninstall it as I intenteded to install CCC 13.9. I opted for the "express" variant of the uninstall, which said it would uninstall all AMD software. During this, my screen went black, though the back light was still on and the mouse would appear if moved but would reset itself to the middle of the screen after a time, even if it was still being moved. After waiting for several minutes I turned the computer off (yes, there are a lot of actions I regret involved in this problem; I shouldn't have done any of this so blindly). When I reset the computer the HP symbol and loding animation came up, but then proceeded to a black screen like before. Also, I noted that every now and then the "ENG" and wifi bars would briefly flash on the screen. I tried to login in despite the screen being black, and, when change failed to occur, turned the computer off and on again, pressing the "F#" buttins to try and get into the boot menu to see if I could install a graphics driver from an external source. This failed to display. The black screen simply came up again. Interestingly, the HDD continued to click as if reading/writing no matter how long the computer was left. Eventually, now, the computer simply automatically shuts itself down after the HP symbol displays (though it does display the black screen first and the shutdown may not always happen).

As this has occured, I cannot currently obtain more information about the laptop. It does have a 3rd generation quad core i7 cpu and 8 GB of RAM. It has a Windows 8.1 64-bit OS.

The computer had a complete antivirus scan by Norton 360 only a few hours before this occured. When I first got this computer the AMD GPU was not in use at all, catalyst had to first be installed before even demanding games would switch from the Intel GPU.

Please help, I'm extremely worried.

Thank you!

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 06:19 AM by STUish
 12/14/2013 04:22 AM

Author Icon
STUish
Peon

Not sure if what i did uninstalled the driver for the intel GPU or, for some reason, the AMD GPU became the primary one. Is there some way i can install a driver from a disc or usb, maybe another computer?

01/10/2014 09:32 AM

Author Icon
STUish
Peon

OK, a system refresh worked (though the system recovery menus from boot wouldn't display and only happened to after rolling back the BIOS [which itself didn't fix the problem; might have just temporarily tricked the graphics card to running on the right driver??]). If the system recovery menu doesn't display for people I wouldn't recommend doing what i did - just get some help or you could boot from another computer, a disk or usb?

Anyway, good luck to anyone who has the same problem

Statistics
84321 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.