Topic Title: Old amd drivers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/27/2013 01:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/27/2013 01:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mirakamd
Peon

Hey, im new to the forums. Also my english isnt that good but i will give it my best shot.

About 18 months ago i bought this laptop HP pavilion g7-2054sd (costed 700 euro). It has windows 7 home premium, service pack 1 and 64 bit. I cant seem to find the motherboard type( i only see the chipset: AMD A70M Fusion, doesnt know if this is important). It doesnt say it in the product specs and also everest says: unknown. Here is a link to the specs of the laptop: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03350128&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=nl&dlc=nl&jumpid=reg_r1002_nlnl_c-001_title_r0001&lc=nl&product=5270119

I bought it for guild wars 2 and other games but it didnt perform as i thought. Most games have poor fps on low/medium settings. I played league of legends on medium with 60 fps (high would be 40 fps but it would freeze to much when to many enemy's are casting different spells). Also i tried saints row 3 with everything on the lowest setting with 20 fps and much freezes. Guild wars 2 had a stable 22-30 fps on medium/low.   According to canyourunit.com i should be able to play games but when i play them, its just horrible. Also the laptop gets hot but im not sure if thats a amd problem. Ordered a laptop cooler, should arrive tomorrow.

So i did a reset with my laptop to factory default about 2 weeks ago and installed the latest windows updates and the latest amd beta driver. I even got the amd gaming evolved program that came with it. Thats why i think its strange that dxdiag doesnt show the right version.  Before that reset to the factory default i had similir performance issues with the latest non-beta driver. So today i went  to run and typed dxdiag. I went to the display tab to check the driver version there and it says: 

Main driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll              (<-- This seems odd)

Version 8.941.1.0

Date: 10-2-2012 22:59:02

I dont know if this is right. Also im not experienced with computers but the graphics say: Dual GPU:
AMD Radeon HD 7640G + 7670M Dual GPU (1 GB DDR3 reserved).

When i go to device manager and then display adapters, it shows 2 things:

-AMD Radeon HD 7640G + 7670M Dual graphics (Driver version 8.941.1.0 and date 9-2-2012)

-AMD Radeon HD 7670M (Driver version 8.941.1.0 and date 9-2-2012)

Does this mean i got 2 videocards? And how about dual graphics? Should i be on or off? Also i know this isnt a gaming laptop but do you think those performance's are normal for the specs? I also bought tomb raider when it was released but it only ran on the lowest settings with around 30 fps. Im really not exaggerating about the fps's.

Long story short, dxdiag shows the wrong driver version and dates of my videocard. This and the poor performance of games got me worried about the drivers not installed correctly or something.

So any of you got a idea? Or need more info? Aks me and i will try to respond as soon as i can. 

Greetings and a Happy New Year in advance.

12/27/2013 03:30 PM

Author Icon
Dch48
Nerfed

Okay, your laptop has an AMD APU (accelerated processing unit)with built in graphics, the 7640G. It also has a discrete graphics card, the 7670M. With that setup, it should be performing a lot better. Mine only has 6620G graphics in the APU and no discrete card and performs better than that.

Your driver is also the one from September of 2012 and is probably the one that shipped with the machine. It should also perform better than what you are seeing. AMD's dual graphics really don't perform that well when both cards are running together. It works better when the G card works for normal things and the M card kicks in for games. There are settings in your Vision Engine Control Center to set it up.

What I would start with is to uninstall the drivers you have now, go to the HP site for the drivers for your machine (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=nl&cc=nl&dlc=nl&sw_lang=&product=5270119#N687) and download the Graphics driver. This driver is specifically made for your computer. The drivers you have tried are not and may not work correctly. Especially if you have installed the desktop version and not the Mobility one.  If the HP driver works and you get better performance, I wouldn't worry about getting a newer one. In it's default setup, the computer is supposed to automatically switch between the graphics cards as is needed to give the best performance and a lot of times, only the manufacturer supplied driver will do that correctly. Newer isn't always better.

-------------------------
HP Dv6-6140us Laptop, AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD 6620G graphics, 6 GB DDR3-1333 RAM.

Edited: 12/27/2013 at 08:27 PM by Dch48
 12/27/2013 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Mirakamd
Peon

Hey, thnx for your response. So i should remove my drivers now and then install the one from the amd site? You said something i didnt thinked of. Maybe you are right about the desktop/notebook version. Im uninstalling the drivers right now and downloaded the one from AMD. This time i didnt press download the latest driver but i selected the mobility notebook one for the 7xxxM series. I will let you know when im done and if it did improve anything.

Greetings!

Edit: So i uninstalled the driver and installed the new one. Only it showed me: http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Rockshow2oo8/Upitnik.jpg (image from google). Gonna test it out now.

Edit2: Just remembered i didnt uninstalled the previous drivers(i hope thats the reason for the warning/error). The reason was that i also got a amd cpu and i was afraid i would delete something important. I have to leave now but tomorrow or when im coming i will reset the laptop to factory settings again and download the right drivers. At least he shows thats its installed in dxdiag.

Edited: 12/27/2013 at 04:37 PM by Mirakamd
 12/27/2013 08:35 PM

Author Icon
Dch48
Nerfed

Sorry, I meant the HP site, not AMD. The link I posted is to the specific HP drivers for your particular laptop. The official AMD drivers are the ones that sometimes don't work well on laptops with dual graphics like you have. There also are drivers at guru3d.com that have been modified to work better for dual graphics. Look for the ones posted by a guy called LeekM. It shouldn't be necessary to do a factory reset to install new drivers.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=384844 . You would want the one for APU users.

-------------------------
HP Dv6-6140us Laptop, AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD 6620G graphics, 6 GB DDR3-1333 RAM.
Statistics
84672 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.