Topic Title: Package Failure, cant update my drivers
Topic Summary: Cant update my cards divers
Created On: 02/08/2014 05:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/08/2014 05:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
revensix
Peon

I formated my laptop yesterday and I cant update my graphic card drivers.

Ive tried multiple versions of the drivers, auto detect, downloaded from several websites, tried everything I could think of and still get Package Failture which wont let me update anything. Windows is now fully updated, got the last BIOS vs from Asus web, tried clean installs, updated .NET, etc...

Nothing works.

Template follows:

Graphics Card
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5870, no clocks

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Only using the one from Asus support page because its the only one that lets me install.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G73J1h&hashedid=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

Operating System
Windows 7 64b

Issue Details
Everytime I try to update it prompts "Package Failure"

Motherboard or System Make & Model, power supply, etc...
Dont know, my laptop is an Asus G73jh

Can anyone help? Tks in advance.

02/08/2014 09:55 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I would stop/delete every Asus pc/graphics/video controller on your laptop. All or any one of them could be preventing the installation. None of them are helpful..you won't miss a thing. http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_1_whql_download.html

Download the drivers here

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

02/08/2014 09:59 PM

Author Icon
revensix
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped I would stop/delete every Asus pc/graphics/video controller on your laptop. All or any one of them could be preventing the installation. None of them are helpful..you won't miss a thing.

Sorry I dont think I follow...

Hum, I did try to install the graphic card driver as soon as I formated without installing anything else. Is that the scenario you were saying?

02/08/2014 10:41 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: revensix
Originally posted by: stumped I would stop/delete every Asus pc/graphics/video controller on your laptop. All or any one of them could be preventing the installation. None of them are helpful..you won't miss a thing.

Hum, I did try to install the graphic card driver as soon as I formated without installing anything else. Is that the scenario you were saying?

If you did a factory install you have a lot of Asus bloatware. Some to controll/improve graphics, some to 'tune' your cpu, etc. It's been years since I removed it from mine, so I can't remeber the names Asus uses. Also, if you had not fully updated your Windows installation, you should not have tried to install the graphics drivers...they are the last thing you install. Make sure you have all the 'optional' updates for Windows, then do a clean install using the drivers I linked you to.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

02/09/2014 01:53 PM

Author Icon
revensix
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: revensix

If you did a factory install you have a lot of Asus bloatware. Some to controll/improve graphics, some to 'tune' your cpu, etc. It's been years since I removed it from mine, so I can't remeber the names Asus uses. Also, if you had not fully updated your Windows installation, you should not have tried to install the graphics drivers...they are the last thing you install. Make sure you have all the 'optional' updates for Windows, then do a clean install using the drivers I linked you to.

I dont have any Asus bloatware. Ive wiped all that as soon as I got my laptop back in 2011. I even use SSD now.

Funny thing is that I tried 14.1 beta, 13.9, 13.4 and below 13.1 but I never found that 13.1 version... and guess what, those drivers have worked like a charm. Cleaned up my drivers with DDU and made a fresh install with those and I guess its all good now.

Thanks a lot mate.

Statistics
85795 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.