Topic Title: Skyrim REFUSES to use AMD
Topic Summary: help needed! it seems Skyrim doesn't like to recognize or use the dedicated AMD chip (laptop)
Created On: 02/12/2014 09:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/12/2014 09:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
artkingjw
Peon

Platform: Laptop

Graphics Card:AMD HD 8850M

AMD Catalyst Driver Version: 13.12 (latest, non-Beta available as of 12th of Feb 2014)

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Issue Details
Ok, I know this question has been asked before MANY times around the internet, but it seems that most of them have been solved, or left there without an update - whatever it is, I have tried all suggestions in the 30 or so relevent pages Google showed me - none have worked

I have used CCC to force "High Performance" when plugged in.

The thing is this, all other games I've installed so far (Crysis, Team Fotress 2, Assassin's Creed 4 and a few other AAA type titles)  can recognize AND use the 8850m. Only Skyrim can't.

This issue was actually resolved ONCE before, after installing a few mods. But after I proceeded to install another mod, the problem reverted, and nothing I've done since, including removing the latest mod, removing all mods, various combinations of mods, has done the trick.

Can anyone help?

System: Dell Inspiron 15

CPU Details: Intel i7 (mobile) 4500U, with Intel HD4400 Graphics

Memory: 8 GB @ 1600mhz

Additional Details: interesting note: SOME games will choose the Intel GPU over AMD (despite forcing 'high performance') IF I install intel drivers AFTER I install the AMD one. So once I updated the Intel driver, I update/reinstall-without-uninstall the AMD drivers, and it works. 

I have also disabled the Intel GPU, yes disabled, from Hardware manager. Skyrim didn't see the AMD GPU at all, but instead went with Microsofts proprietary renderer or something.

Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Edited: 02/21/2014 at 04:13 AM by artkingjw
 02/21/2014 04:05 AM

Author Icon
dishere
Peon

Have the exact same computer and exact same issue. With the latest driver from the AMD site (2.5.1 or whatever it is) I can play Skyrim with no issues although I can't choose the AMD graphics card in the settings.

With this driver though I cannot put my computer to sleep / wake it up. The screen goes black and doesn't power down and I have to hold down the power button to forcibly turn it off and start it up again.

When I use the driver suggested on the Dell site using my service tag (13.151.0.0) the computer runs smoother and go to sleep all that stuff but cannot play Skyrim. All the other games I've tested with this driver version work like Far Cry 3 and CS:Go but Skyrim lags like nothing else.

Sorry to reply without an answer and hijack your thread interested in hopefully getting an answer as well.

02/21/2014 04:14 AM

Author Icon
artkingjw
Peon

Originally posted by: dishere Have the exact same computer and exact same issue. With the latest driver from the AMD site (2.5.1 or whatever it is) I can play Skyrim with no issues although I can't choose the AMD graphics card in the settings.

With this driver though I cannot put my computer to sleep / wake it up. The screen goes black and doesn't power down and I have to hold down the power button to forcibly turn it off and start it up again.

When I use the driver suggested on the Dell site using my service tag (13.151.0.0) the computer runs smoother and go to sleep all that stuff but cannot play Skyrim. All the other games I've tested with this driver version work like Far Cry 3 and CS:Go but Skyrim lags like nothing else.

Sorry to reply without an answer and hijack your thread interested in hopefully getting an answer as well.

hey man i say the more the merrier, i'm starting to cope with not being able to play skyrim , lots of Black Flag and Blacklist instead

Here is a fix to your black screen problem:

1)go to Dell's website and download both their drivers for Intel and AMD.

2)uninstall your AMD driver from device manager

3)run the Intel driver utility and let it install, then go to device manager and let Windows update it for you from there, and then leave it

4)install the AMD driver that dell gives you, then go to device manager and let Windows update it from 8800 series to 8850m for you.

5)go to this link (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows+7+-+64) or simply google amd mobility driver, and download that 13.12 thing that is about 1-2mb big only.

6)run that 1-2mb thing and let it download the actual ~200mb driver for you. If you see the progress bar done super early, chances are its a glitch, the file is actually still downloading - go to your download location (desktop/folder/whatever) - right click and check its size - it should be about 200, give it a few seconds and check to see if its changing - if it isn't, you're good to go

7)finally install that driver, and you should be hapily playing anything but skyrim, and your laptop won't blackscreen on you again

PS, I'm pretty sure you can download the full driver file (the 200mb file) using your browser instead of AMD's download tool, but somehow that doesn't work for me, it only works when I download it through AMD's tool

Edited: 02/21/2014 at 04:29 AM by artkingjw
Statistics
85473 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.