Topic Title: Will Catalyst 14.2 Beta v1.3 work on my Alienware?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/09/2014 11:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/09/2014 11:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
devinator12
Peon

Greetings AMD forum members and people alike!

I have a question about the new beta release.

Will the Catalyst 14.2 Beta v1.3 run on my Alienware M18XR2?

System info:

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7970M x2 (In crossfire configuration)

Processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM

Memory: Samsung 24GB DDR3 (PC3-12800)

Chipset: Intel HM77 (Panther Point)

If you need more info please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

03/10/2014 12:26 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I don't see why not..it is listed in the read me'. Make sure you uninstall the drivers you have now before installing the Beta.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

03/12/2014 05:25 PM

Author Icon
devinator12
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped I don't see why not..it is listed in the read me'. Make sure you uninstall the drivers you have now before installing the Beta.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Hello again,

The reason why i ask is because it may not work for this particular laptop.

As for using this driver i have encountered a problem wih opening the CCC which can be a really big problem! No fan control mean a very big fireball (Or a whole lot of toxic smoke).

03/12/2014 05:57 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Here's what AMD says:

Article Number

GPU-28041 

Starting with Catalyst 10.3, AMD offers support for all discrete Mobility GPUs, so long as the system builder doesn’t opt out of support. Currently, Sony, Toshiba, and Fujitsu are asking that their products not be updated by the new drivers.

The AMD Mobility Radeon™ graphics driver supplied by the notebook manufacturer is customized for the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. It is recommended to use the drivers provided by the notebook manufacturer.

If installing an operating system other than the one currently supported by the notebook, the notebook may not meet all requirements. As such supported graphics drivers may not be available.

The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification Tool will display the following error if it fails to validate the graphics hardware.

“AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter.”

This is due to incompatible hardware/configuration in your notebook. Please contact the notebook manufacturer for assistance.

The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool helps you determine your notebook’s compatibility with generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers. It helps to prevent incorrect installation on incompatible notebooks which may lead to disabled features or functionality.

If you experience difficulty while using the generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, we recommend reverting to the driver provided by your notebook vendor. Please contact your notebook vendor for their most recent graphics drivers.

The following notebooks are not compatible:

Toshiba® notebooks
 Sony® VAIO® notebooks
 Panasonic® notebooks

Notebooks equipped with switchable graphics

GPU-28041: Information on AMD Mobility Radeon™ Graphics Drivers for Microsoft® Windows®

Last Updated
2/23/2012

Article Number
GPU-28041

The AMD Mobility Radeon™ graphics driver supplied by the notebook manufacturer is customized for the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. It is recommended to use the drivers provided by the notebook manufacturer.

If installing an operating system other than the one currently supported by the notebook, the notebook may not meet all requirements. As such supported graphics drivers may not be available.

The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification Tool will display the following error if it fails to validate the graphics hardware. This is due to incompatible hardware/configuration in your notebook. Please contact the notebook manufacturer for assistance.

Below is a list of the major notebook manufacturers and corresponding support web sites.

Acer

support.acer.com

Alienware

support.alienware.com

Apple

www.apple.com/support

ASUS

support.asus.com

BenQ

benq.us/support

Dell

support.dell.com

eMachines

support.gateway.com

Falcon Northwest

www.falcon-nw.com

Fujitsu

support.ts.fujitsu.com

Gateway

support.gateway.com

HP

hp.com/support

Lenovo

support.lenovo.com

LG

lge.com/us/support

Medion

www.medionusa.com

MSI

msi.com/service/download

Panasonic

panasonic.com

Samsung

samsung.com/us/support

Sony

epsupport.sony.com

Toshiba

www.csd.toshiba.com

Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all notebook manufacturers that provide AMD Mobility Radeon graphics.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=448&threadid=161340&enterthread=y

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

03/12/2014 06:05 PM

Author Icon
devinator12
Peon

Thank you for your topic. I do however have a few notes to point out.

1. The topic is from 2012

2. The manufacturer that supplied the driver has the direct x problem on them.

3. I also tried the support page for the Alienware but the site is not working correctly (meh i know amd can't do anything about it.)

Anyhow should I downgrade back to the previous driver for now or do you have a different suggestion?

On a side note the Mantle driver actually works.

03/12/2014 07:15 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

The newest says the same:

Last Updates: 12/18/2013

Article Number: RN-WIN-C13.12
I would use the drivers that work...if you are having problems opening CCC, then you did not install them correctly, or refer to the above article. You did uninstall completely the previous driver suite before tring to install the beta(s) ?

03/12/2014 11:30 PM

Author Icon
devinator12
Peon

Howdy,

I did refer to the uninstall instructions which guided me to the add/remove programs section on the control panel. I then used the Amd Catalyst install manager to remove all components.

After that i rebooted the laptop and then fallowed through with the install of the 14.2 Beta 1.3.

I was using the 13.12 before hand.

The currently listed driver on dell.com for the Alienware M18xR2 is the AMD 13.151 driver.

Thanks for your time.

03/13/2014 12:43 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Does this mean you got the drivers installed and CCC working?

03/13/2014 05:06 PM

Author Icon
devinator12
Peon

No The CCC still won't start with the 14.2 Beta v1.3 installed.

03/22/2014 11:39 PM

Author Icon
devinator12
Peon

Figured I would give an update.

I did a reinstall of the package and i did get the CCC to work. Unfortunately i yet again encoutered the system freezing when the program turns on.

To my regret i cannot get to the startup list before the program gets a chance to start up on its own before the system freezes. Darn SSD for loading everything so fast lol.

Anyhow I'm out of ideas on how to solve this freezing problem.

Statistics
85482 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.