Topic Title: Catalyst 14.6 black and white lines on desktop
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/01/2014 07:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/01/2014 07:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
emrvb
Peon

I have an Acer Aspire 7750G with a Radeon HD 6650M, running Windows 7 64 bit.

Since Acer isn't updating it's drivers and I need newer drivers, I recently started using the Catalyst Beta, 14.x (I believe I was already on a 13.x beta).

The issue I'm having is that during screen updates (moving the pointer, moving a window, scrolling etc) their appear black and white horizontal lines, 1 pixel in width, all over the screen. Just one at time, severity depends on how much/how long the screen is updating.

What I've found out so far:

- Occurs on desktop, not in 3d (game) rendering
- Video rendering (playing a movie) does not count as a "screen update". Moving the cursor while playing the video does.
- Starting certain borderless applications makes the issue disappear for as long as the application is running.
- Connecting a secondary display (haven't tried all modes, just desktop extend) makes the issue disappear completely. The issue remains gone even after disconnecting the secondary display.

Now I don't know much about GPU's or their drivers. But it appears the driver or GPU is in somekind of "wrong" state. Connecting/disconnecting a seconday display corrects this.
I haven't found any display setting (like changing resolution) that had the same effect.

Anyone has any suggestions? And what are the chances this gets forwarded to the driver devs? If you want me to post some additional information, don't hesitate to ask!

06/25/2014 03:13 PM

Author Icon
emrvb
Peon

No one else experiencing this? 

Anyway. I also noticed that the fix, connecting/disconnecting a secondary display does not apply when plugging in a HDMI display. However, this might be due to cloning instead of extending the desktop.

06/25/2014 04:33 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

issue report form

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
84867 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.