Topic Title: Catalyst driver problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/19/2014 12:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/19/2014 12:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
GeorgEdy
Peon

I searched, and this was the best place I found to tell you this. I think AMD should consider an update on the drivers. When I install Catalyst install manager, after the drivers are installed, my laptop has two issues, and I've seen I'm not the only one, there are a lot of users that have this problem. One of the issues is the laptop power off/sleep problem. When I shut down the laptop, the monitor goes off, but the laptop itself doesn't really shuts down, it keeps running. And if I try to power on again, won't work. I have to press the on/off button untill it shuts down completely. And when it enters in sleep mode, it remains there. Nothing can wake it up. That's one of the problems

When this is solved, on startup, I get an error message, video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error. I have to force power off then on again to start the laptop. 

All of this dissapears when I uninstall the driver and clean any remains of it. Indeed, windows installs the appropriate driver for my video card, but still, AMD install manager with all it's applications is kinda useless if all this errors appear. If somebody posted this before me, and I wasn't looking well enough, I am sorry for repost, but this is bothering me. 

07/19/2014 01:16 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Always get the drivers from your laptop manufacturer website as they make their own changes in the hardware and drivers, rendering drivers downloaded from AMD useless.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 07/19/2014 03:40 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: GeorgEdy I searched, and this was the best place I found to tell you this. I think AMD should consider an update on the drivers. When I install Catalyst install manager, after the drivers are installed, my laptop has two issues, and I've seen I'm not the only one, there are a lot of users that have this problem. One of the issues is the laptop power off/sleep problem. When I shut down the laptop, the monitor goes off, but the laptop itself doesn't really shuts down, it keeps running. And if I try to power on again, won't work. I have to press the on/off button untill it shuts down completely. And when it enters in sleep mode, it remains there. Nothing can wake it up. That's one of the problems

When this is solved, on startup, I get an error message, video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error. I have to force power off then on again to start the laptop. 

All of this dissapears when I uninstall the driver and clean any remains of it. Indeed, windows installs the appropriate driver for my video card, but still, AMD install manager with all it's applications is kinda useless if all this errors appear. If somebody posted this before me, and I wasn't looking well enough, I am sorry for repost, but this is bothering me. 

Quess what? I have the same issues on my Toshiba laptop...only thing different is I don't have AMD graphics. Or Nvidia graphics. Just Intel on-board graphics.

If you want someone to take you seriously, tell us your laptop make and model, what OS (and if it is the OS that came with the laptop), tell us your graphics card, and what drivers you have been trying to install. Have a nice day.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

*  Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati *

07/20/2014 08:58 AM

Author Icon
GeorgEdy
Peon

@zipsi

that I didn't think of. I'll try it.

@stumped

I didn't think that the model was relevant because I saw these issues at other laptop types either. It's Acer E1-572G, AMD Radeon 8570M graphics, it came with Ubuntu installed, and now it's win8 x64. I tried either with amd autodetect, and then select the specific product on site. Same result.

I think that zipsi is right. I didn't know that the manufacturer makes it's own changes. I'll try the driver on the Acer site, and if the problem persists, I'll come back to you. Thanks guys. 

07/20/2014 11:09 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: GeorgEdy @zipsi

@stumped

I didn't think that the model was relevant because I saw these issues at other laptop types either. It's Acer E1-572G, AMD Radeon 8570M graphics, it came with Ubuntu installed, and now it's win8 x64.

Yes it is relevant. It tells me that you have a switchable graphics program called ENDURO. Which is a pain to update.

Please read the Updating Mobility drivers sticky  also the information on switchable graphics.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

*  Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati *

07/21/2014 04:22 AM

Author Icon
GeorgEdy
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: GeorgEdy @zipsi

@stumped

I didn't think that the model was relevant because I saw these issues at other laptop types either. It's Acer E1-572G, AMD Radeon 8570M graphics, it came with Ubuntu installed, and now it's win8 x64.

Yes it is relevant. It tells me that you have a switchable graphics program called ENDURO. Which is a pain to update.

Please read the Updating Mobility drivers sticky  also the information on switchable graphics.

The driver from Acer site worked. No more errors. You learn new things every day. Thank you! 

Statistics
87432 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.