Topic Title: No HDMI OR DVI after removing component...
Topic Summary: No HDMI or DVI after removing wifi component...
Created On: 10/08/2012 09:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/08/2012 09:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
deanobirko
n00b

Graphics Card

Radeon 3000 with HDMI, DVI.  Integrated into the motherboard... Its an Asus motherboard ending in M, cant see anything to get details.

Operating System
Win xp SP3

Issue Details

My HTPC was working great on XP and had no issues with video etc.  I needed extra USB ports so I bought an extender that attaches straight onto the internal USB ports as I didnt have a spare PCI.  In order to get to the USB ports, I removed my WIFI card.

Thats when the issues started.  I had an error pop up when i rebooted and it said catalyst drivers were corrupted.  So I uninstalled them and rebooted.

On reboot, I had no video through either HDMI or DVI at any point.  No bios, no post screen, no windows logo.  The computer is booting normally because  the windows chime comes on via my PC speakers, there is no video at all.  I figured it could be the new hardware additions, so i removed them but still no video.

I hooked up a VGA monitor and got a picture so reinstalled the Catalyst drivers and still no video via hdmi.

Formatted the hard disk, reinstalled windows.  Still no video.

When I plug in the HDMI lead the TV switches to HDMI so it recognises that  a hdmi lead is in there, its just a black screen.

I went into catalyst using VGA and it doesnt recognise the TV.  I have a brand new DVI to HDMI lead that I used and that didnt work either, although it works fine on my other computer.

Im at my wits end with this and im tempted to buy another card to put in it so I can use it again.

Any advice would be great.

Motherboard or System Make & Model

-Asus cant remember the model but ends in M (Sorry!)

Power Supply

Antec Fusion PSU

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used

Generic LCD HDTV, been used with this computer many times before.

Hardware:

2 x 1tb WD HDD
2gb Crucial Ram
IMON Blue VFD + Remote

Additional Details

Antec case.

10/10/2012 06:31 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Static electricity? Removing hardware without discharging the motherboard can cause a current run through the components.. current found a path to get grounded through the display cables and possibly fried the pcb's before them, turned your gpu blind while still partially functional. I've fried a few hdd's before for being careless

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 10/10/2012 04:27 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah... it's rare but it can happen, especially with devices that aren't "hot swappable".

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

10/10/2012 05:49 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: zipsi Static electricity? Removing hardware without discharging the motherboard can cause a current run through the components.. current found a path to get grounded through the display cables and possibly fried the pcb's before them, turned your gpu blind while still partially functional. I've fried a few hdd's before for being careless

I did kill some memory modules this way.

@OP: I'd try a linux live CD on the original computer, and if it works, an OS reinstall might be necessary. If not, the GPU is dead, and you should replace the motherboard or buy a discrete graphics card.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
84296 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.