Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: HD4890 on windows 8 - openGL low performance
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/08/2012 06:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/08/2012 06:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DrZ0idberg
Peon

Video card: ATI HD4890, mb: ASUS M5A87, CPU: AMD Phenom 1100 X6, mem: 8 gig DDR3 1600

I have installed windows 8 and the driver that comes to it did not support openGL. Quake 3 was unbareable laggy and q4 did not even start. So I went to www.amd.com to look for a driver and to my surprise AMD has stopped supporting HD48xxx series with a fuzzy explanation that the driver for these cars is solid rock stable and won't not need updates anymore and everyone should use default windows drivers or go and by their new card!

Apparently openGL is not part of this default windows driver. So after some digging in forums I found legacy win7 drivers that I can install on windows 8. I did that and openGL was there. Unfortunaterly the performance of openGL is disappointing even comparing to WindowsXP sp3 where quake 3 runs way faster.There was another problem with CCC where setting for LCD scaling option did not work at all so that I had this black stripes at the corners of my screen until I found some advice how to fix it through registry ... a bit weird for such a  "stable" software.

That basically raises a simple question. Why AMD hates their customers?!? Three years ago I paid $300 for this card and this is still a great card that is able to handle all tasks and games (quake mostly) I use. So please DO NOT TELL ME to go and buy a new card. Instead I would like to hear when ATI will provide good quality openGL drivers for windows 8 for HD48xxx (that are at least as good as for windows XP)

BTW: I have looked at nvidia web site and their old video cards are still fully supported for windows 8 and you do not need to dig through forums to figure out where you can download drivers for your card ...

So if ATI does not clean this mess guess will be ATI card I'm going to buy?

11/08/2012 09:26 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

BTW: I have looked at nvidia web site and their old video cards are still fully supported for windows 8

Heh, no kid, they're not.

nd you do not need to dig through forums to figure out where you can download drivers for your card ...

Then you really are an idiot, a simple bing/google/yahoo/whatever search brings up the page you need.

So please DO NOT TELL ME to go and buy a new card.

To bad, I'm going to tell you anyway, you want to use a WDDM 1.2 OS, then you need a WDDM 1.2 card for full functionality. You paid over $100 for Windows 8, so go out and spend $100 on an HD 7770 which outclasses your 4890.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/08/2012 10:20 PM

Author Icon
DrZ0idberg
Peon

Then you really are an idiot, a simple bing/google/yahoo/whatever search brings up the page you need.

Hmm, I wonder why then AMD has section called 'support drivers' and there is even an auto detection utility which btw is not working in my case.

Oh, I guess there are too many idiots around who do not want to waste their time reading useles answer like yours that give null info.

To bad, I'm going to tell you anyway, you want to use a WDDM 1.2 OS, then you need a WDDM 1.2 card for full functionality.

Focus dude. I do not care about WDDM1.2 functionality.I was talking about openGL. And all I ask when the existing functionality will work at least as fast as it does on windows XP.

You paid over $100 for Windows 8, so go out and spend $100 on an HD 7770 which outclasses your 4890.

Who the hell are you? Does ATI pay you for advices like that? Why are telling me how I should spend my money! ... and FYI windows 8 upgrade is $40 and I'm unlikely to buy another ATI card that is going to be obsolite in two years.

Heh, no kid, they're not.

Hmm you can download it right from nvidia web site ...

BTW a friend of mide will donate me his old nvidia 8900 GTX and I'm going to give it a try ... so stay tuned.

11/09/2012 01:08 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

I tried to find a driver for an 8900GTX on nVidia's site, using their manual driver search option: http://www.geforce.com/drivers. I couldn't find the 8900GTX.  I chose GeForce > GeFoce 8 Series.  The highest the list goes is GeForce 8800.

Here is the link for the HD4000 series on Windows8.  It is provided to users "AS-IS:"

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/catalystlegacywin8.aspx

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

11/09/2012 02:42 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: DrZ0idbergWho the hell are you? Does ATI pay you for advices like that? Why are telling me how I should spend my money! ... and FYI windows 8 upgrade is $40 and I'm unlikely to buy another ATI card that is going to be obsolite in two years.

Heh... good answer. 

To be fair, software in general tends to rot over time especially if it isn't maintained with updates and patches.  Just about anything you buy is going to be obsolete in two years, aside from maybe memory, and being an early adopter often does let the bad-gunky out.

On the other hand, developer relations hasn't been a particularly strong area for AMD in recent years(those "the way it's meant to be played" splash screens that show up in games didn't happen by accident), so what you're saying isn't completely without precident.

I guess there's two sides to this story as well. 

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 02:54 PM by Mime
 11/10/2012 02:33 AM

Author Icon
philhalo9987
Peon

ahaha OP you fail so hard, there is no such thing as 8900GTX but i will give nvidia credit they have windows 8 drivers even for the gefrce 6 series from 2005

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 03:01 AM by philhalo9987
 11/11/2012 11:14 PM

Author Icon
DrZ0idberg
Peon

ahaha OP you fail so hard, there is no such thing as 8900GTX but i will give nvidia credit they have windows 8 drivers even for the gefrce 6 series from 2005

Right, it was EVGA e-gforce 8800 GTS 320 mb and guess what it worked like a charm. It took me 5 minutes to find and download their windows 8 x64 drivers and another 2 minutes to install it. That is freaking it! And their openGL drivers were there and looked adequate. I cannot comment on the performance since I did not try it on Windows XP. And amazingly LCD screen scaling was right without any corrections using registry editing.

Here is the link for the HD4000 series on Windows8.  It is provided to users "AS-IS:"

The key words here are 'AS-IS' and 'legacy' that translates to something:

You can take our card that you paid for $300 just 3 years ago and put it in a garbage bin. However if you still do not want to go and buy yet another $300 for our new super-puper card then take these drivers that have been designed for another OS and will work pretty *****because here at ATI we do not really care about its customers.

Anyhow I've spent too much time on that already but it will be sad if ATI fails the competition and there will be no choice ...

11/12/2012 12:15 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

So much for being reasonable about it...

If you actually want help in solving your problem feel free to create another thread.  If you just want to complain, then you can take your complaints somewhere else.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Statistics
84181 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.