Topic Title: Issues with Overscaling with a Radeon 4870
Topic Summary: Over HDMI
Created On: 11/10/2012 11:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/10/2012 11:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Linkusmax
Peon

I have a Viewsonic VX2835wm which I connect my Gigabyte 4870 to via HDMI, I am using the 12.6 legacy Windows 7 x64 drivers.

When I set the resolution to the native for this monitor (1920x1200) the edges of the screen are cut off, in addition the scaling slider is greyed out in the CCC. This did not happen with the last set of drivers I used (over 2 years old at this point) I have to set it to resolution listed as HDTV to get it to show the whole screen. Unfortunatly the HDTV resolutions are all 16:9 ratio instead of 16:10 like my monitor.

My research in google seems to indicate that the drivers may be detecting the monitor as an HDTV due to the EDID it is providing, there is no way to select a paticular type of mode like you can with some monitors. Apparently NVIDIA video cards used to have the same issue with this monitor and you had to get around it by forcing a change in the EDID being reported via the registry or an inf file. Obviously that fix won't help me with the 4870 but it may point someone in the right direction to help me?

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Cheers

Rhys

11/12/2012 06:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

If the edges are cut off, that means the card is sending a full 1920x1200 frame to the monitor, but the monitor is treating part of it as overscan.

According to what I can see on the ViewSonic product page, there's an OSD menu item for aspect ratio, which you should set at 1:1.

Statistics
81026 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.