Topic Title: Catalyst Control Center is not supported...
Topic Summary: Problems with the older ATI Radeon HD 2400 series.
Created On: 11/16/2012 02:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/16/2012 02:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Barillius
Peon

Greetings.

Forgive my technical ignorance, I will attempt to lay out the issue the best that I can.  (Please do not respond to this message if, as I have seen in other threads, your answer is "get a newer card".  Some of us are on a fixed income and just buying stuff to fix problems is not possible.)

First, the computer:  I have an old Dell Dimension 4600i, Pentium 4 2.80Ghz with 4k RAM, running Windows XP Home (5.1, build 2600).  Power supply is unknown, running DirectX 9.0.

In this machine, installed quite some time ago, is the ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series (Chip type ATI Radeon Graphics Processer AGP (0x94C4)). 512mb RAM.

This card is installed in the PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 ... if that means anything.

Ok.. so there are some games that I can play with no issues so the card seems to work just fine.  Although most, if not all the time, the settings have to be on 'minimum' or 'low'...  losing the details, etc.  Not an issue.

Having said that, now I have another application that I'd like to run and I was having difficulty.  I tried to update my driver from ati2dvag.dll (ver. 6.14.0010.7200 on 5/24/2011) to whatever is current, the download/install always hangs up.

Now, when I restart my computer I get this message:

WARNING:  The Catalyst® Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter.  Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager.

I'm not sure where to go with this.  I would like to install whatever updated driver would work with such an old card so that I would be able to take full advantage of what little I can.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

11/16/2012 02:12 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

This is the latest driver for your card and XP.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-xp.aspx

Uninstall your old drivers using your computer control panel / uninstall a program... you will see 'AMD Install Manager' ..Express uninstall all AMD software including the installer. Reboot. Run Driver fusion (free) http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion  select AMD graphics and delete all it finds. Reboot. Install the latest driver suite for your card. Reboot. You should be good to go.

Note: All current AMD drivers ( 12.9 and above ) require .netframework 4...Please read this before you try and install drivers http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162109&enterthread=y .

If you haven't installed it, the CCC panel will not work. You should disable any anti-virus/anti-malware/add blockers/etc before trying to install the drivers.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

11/16/2012 09:50 PM

Author Icon
Barillius
Peon

Thank you, stumped, for your thorough and quick reply.  It seems clear and concise.

The issue now is IE and the .Net 4 program.  I have gone to great lengths to remove any and all Internet Explorer from my system that I am able to.  (Currently use Google Chrome.)  Now, apparently, I will be unable to install any .Net framework beyond the current ver 3.5 on my system.

It seems that microsoft demands I re-install and use their browser to continue.

Or is there another way to install the latest version without IE?

Edit... also, where you say "Express uninstall all AMD software including the installer." does this include all ATI files as well?  There is only one program under AMD and that is the Catalyst Install Manager.  There are 3 programs listed under ATI: AVIVO Codecs, ATI Catalyst Control Center and ATI Problem Report Wizard.  These need to go as well?

Thank you again.

Edited: 11/16/2012 at 09:59 PM by Barillius
 11/16/2012 10:43 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Barillius Thank you, stumped, for your thorough and quick reply.  It seems clear and concise.

The issue now is IE and the .Net 4 program.  I have gone to great lengths to remove any and all Internet Explorer from my system that I am able to.  (Currently use Google Chrome.)  Now, apparently, I will be unable to install any .Net framework beyond the current ver 3.5 on my system.

It seems that microsoft demands I re-install and use their browser to continue.

Or is there another way to install the latest version without IE?

Edit... also, where you say "Express uninstall all AMD software including the installer." does this include all ATI files as well?  There is only one program under AMD and that is the Catalyst Install Manager.  There are 3 programs listed under ATI: AVIVO Codecs, ATI Catalyst Control Center and ATI Problem Report Wizard.  These need to go as well?

Thank you again.

No..3.5 is ok for WinXP. The 4.5 requirement came in with the 12.9 drivers. You are installing the 12.6 drivers.

Just go to 'uninstall a program' and I forget what it says in XP....but uninstall the graphics drivers...if it gives a choice...use express uninstall all AMD software. When its done , reboot your computer and run Driver Fusion'..select AMD graphics..analyse..and delete all it finds. Reboot and install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

11/17/2012 10:53 AM

Author Icon
Barillius
Peon

Thank you again for the clarification.

As a side note, under "Add or Remove Programs" > "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" there is no 'remove' option.  "Change" only which, when selected, simply tries to re-install the program.

This is getting comical.  

11/17/2012 12:15 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Click change.....then it will ask you to uninstall..use 'express uninstall' mif given that option.

11/17/2012 02:26 PM

Author Icon
Barillius
Peon

Again , thank you for your time and efforts.

Driver Fusion requires .Net 4.0

11/17/2012 02:49 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Then use Driver Sweeper > http://www.tomsguide.com/us/download/Sweeper-Driver,0301-10872.html

11/17/2012 03:39 PM

Author Icon
Barillius
Peon

stumped, thank you for your patience and your knowledge.  I really appreciate your taking time to try to help me with this problem.

Apparently I am not good at following instructions.  I have express UNinstalled the AMD files only to be required to insert the installation disk that came with the the card to finish the UNinstallation.  Once I tracked that down and went through the steps the software required and the ones that you've listed I have ended up with very unstable system with graphics that can't even load the simplest Google page without showing one horizontal line at a time.  REminds me of the old dot matrix printers... 

So, bottom line.. I am worse off now than when I started.  Followed the steps listed and ended up with the same driver but horribly reduced performance.

I am at a loss.

EDIT .. apparently when I take a look at "dxdiag.exe" > "display" it tells me that DirectDraw Acceleration, Direct3d Acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration are all "Not Available".  If I recall correctly, these were all enabled before the current situation.

Edited: 11/17/2012 at 03:58 PM by Barillius
 11/17/2012 05:26 PM

Author Icon
Barillius
Peon

Update...

I have installed .NET framework 4.  I have installed Driver Fusion.

I have gone back to square one and done each step as listed.  

Now my computer does not even register an AMD or ATI card.  dxdiag lists the display device as 'n/a' and the driver as vga.dll.

11/17/2012 05:57 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I am not trying to be rude, but..I think you need to invite someone over to your house who knows about computers and have them do this for you. If that is not possible, take it to a computer shop. This is not a very hard/involved process...but it requires at least minimum computer knowledge. You have three issues: 1. AGP card  2. A way outdated 2400 series card  3. Windows XP.

To resolve your issue, find "System Restore" on your computer. Restore it to a time before you tried to update your card.

When you get all this done, leave the drivers alone. Chances are you will see no improvement anyway with newer drivers. Any deficiencies with modern/current programs/games will have to be lived with.

11/21/2012 01:29 PM

Author Icon
Barillius
Peon

Thank you stumped.. again.

I have restored my system to a point where the only driver that's going to work is a year older than the one I started with.  Oh well, at least it's (almost) back to where it was.

While I appreciate your help, and your knowledge, perhaps it would be better if you were to try to help only those people with current machines and peripherals.  It seems your methods are not viable for someone with an older machine.  While your intentions are the best, clearly your training and advice are not.

Happies of holidays to you and yours.

Statistics
85509 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.