Topic Title: ATI HD 3450 AGP display problems
Topic Summary: Cant get the ccc to work or adapter to display above 640x480
Created On: 11/18/2012 09:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/18/2012 09:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BearnWales
Peon

Yesterday morning the wife booted up both our pc's and went off to fix coffee.  I made it downstairs to the kitchen picked up the java and headed to the pc room.  Where to my horror I found my monitor displaying a 640x480 with 4bit color.  No joy in my installing and reinstalling both the card and the software.

Now to make matters even more confusing, while sitting at my wifes pc doing a search on possible solutions to my problem.  Her pc comes up with a McAfee warning saying a trojan had been found i need to reboot to remove it.  I did so and now her pc has the same problem.  Her pc also has a ati card HD 4650.  Has anybody seen or heard of this and if so where and what can I do to sort it.

Thanks

11/19/2012 06:34 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Hi...you need to supply some basic information about your computer before anyone can try to be of assistance.

Please supply the following:

1. AMD graphics card(s)
2. Operating system
3. Processor
4. Power supply (make and model)
5. System RAM (amount)
6. If this is a laptop furnish make and model

NOTE: Laptop questions/issues should be posted in the Notebook Forum

http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=448&entercat=y

Also, you could read  http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=440&threadid=160417&enterthread=y   for additional information.

Also, what driver version were you using/trying to install?

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

11/20/2012 01:01 PM

Author Icon
BearnWales
Peon

AMD Radeon HD 3450 AGP Edition

WIN XP Home SP3

Intel Celeron 2.93Ghz

2 x 1g ram

Antec TP3 650

Disc provided with card obtained less than 30 days ago new

Catalyst 12.1

contained amd display driver version 8.93

XP is fully patched and up to date as of 11/20/2012

I have since removed the graphics card and deleted the Amd software on the pc.  There is a problem with a program that is corrupt and cannot be unistalled.  ATI catalyst control center  .66MB

When the card is intalled the error message generated by clicking on display/property/settings:

Invalid Display Settings

The currently selected graphics display driver cannot be used.  It was written for a previous version of windows, and is no longer compatable with this version of windows.

The system has been started using the default vga driver.

Please contact you hardware manufacturer to get a upgraded driver or select one of the microsoft provided drivers.

11/20/2012 01:29 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Here are the latest drivers for your card > http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-xp.aspx

Uninstall your old drivers using your computer control panel / uninstall a program... you will see 'AMD Install Manager' ..Express uninstall all AMD software including the installer. Reboot. Run Driver fusion (free) http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion  select AMD graphics and delete all it finds. Reboot. Install the latest driver suite for your card. Reboot. You should be good to go.

You should disable any anti-virus/anti-malware/add blockers/etc before trying to install the drivers.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

11/21/2012 07:29 AM

Author Icon
BearnWales
Peon

Thanks, just a lil fyi.

I have repeated this process now so many times I have lost count.  I can now get the proper display working and CCC seems to be working okay.  I shut the pc down last nite or this morning rather.  But when i booted pc up this morning it was back to default 640x480 with same message as before.

Sadly I have had the same thing happen with the wifes pc yesterday.  I got the adapter working and set the proper display settings.  We went out to the store and shutdown her pc while we were gone and upon rebooting back to 640x480. 

The concept of this happening to both out pc's at the same time is past annoying.  Have I missed something or lol just a great cosmic joke?

11/21/2012 08:50 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

<$400 gets you an exponentially more powerful Trinity based system based on Windows 7 or 8. When things stop working, it's time to leave unofficial legacy products in the past.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/22/2012 10:41 AM

Author Icon
BearnWales
Peon

Sigh gotta love Trolls, wow, thanks so much for your so often repeated load of smurff.

Now back to the issue.

I can get everything working hunkey dori on my pc until i reboot or shutdown.  Then its all back to default.  Same thing is happening on wifes pc.  So what are we missing.  Settings are saved when ms shuts down.  Something is not getting identified when the pc boots.  I have reloaded the onboard graphics drivers to no avail.

1 item to note is that system restore is not working on either pc. 

I have done a rather exhausting search to identify any possible critters that have been doing the same thing.

But what I have seen from many posts here is that loads of people are having the same issue all of a sudden.  It makes me wonder what updates ie windows have they uploaded or any updates at all.  Conflicts do occur in the strangest of ways.

I am looking at removing a few items that normally get frequent updates such as adobe and see how things progress.  Again the troll from black_zion is not appreciated and these should be removed there not helpful at all.

11/22/2012 11:28 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Two thoughts....can you check the updates from Microsoft that were installed on both computers on or around that date? Uninstall them one by one until the issue goes away? Have you tried a system restore? Did you get the remanent AMD software uninstalled...using Driver Fusion?

I would go into the McAfee program and see what it considered a 'trojan'...it probably can be moved to the 'allowed' programs...to see if that corrects the issue. At the very least you can google the program to see if it is a trojan or not. MacFee and Norton are notorious for blocking 'suspect' portions of programs being installed...hence, " disable any anti-virus when attempting to install the driver package".

EDIT: I would not rule out the cosmic joke. Look at Obama.

11/22/2012 11:58 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

And I bet about now since stumped made that joke his phone is being tapped, internet traffic monitored, and a CIA spy satellite parked over his location at all times

And no Bearn, that wasn't a troll comment, you are using an unofficial card which is in legacy support now on a decade old OS which programmers are stopping support of and which does not even support the features of the hardware you are using. Seriously, time to move into this decade.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/24/2012 01:09 PM

Author Icon
BearnWales
Peon

Howdy, well let me fill you in on where we stand atm.

1) wifes pc is fixed.  Found assistance in restoring safe mode and system restore.  They are now working and was able to use driver sweeper to delete all old amd/ati drivers and files.  Loaded 12.6 agp hot fix and her pc is working.

2) my pc aka the one i posted specs on is still at the same level.  I cannot get 12.6 to work on it but i can get 10.4 to load and get ccc and all other functioning parts to work its just doesnt hold on a cold reboot.

I am going to remove 12.6 and start moving back through the old agp hotfixes till i get one that at least gives me some functionality.  I was able to get net 4.0 installed so Driver Fusion was able to load and remove omg at the old amd/ati stuff that was on there wow.  But, that ATI Catalyst Control Center in Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs is still there and cant remove it.

So, What I can tell you is this was a failed attempt by the java exploit to run some kind of install that turned off system restore, safe mode.  Due to this being a realtive new game for the hackers aka August for this particular version.  There is not much documentation other than Oracle has fixed this and should now be okay lmao.  I am not sure what other services have been changed.  I am making headway just not quite there yet.

11/24/2012 01:58 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

I would back up the data on both computers and reinstall them. It could take a day or two depending on the complexity of your systems, but still less than what you've already spent on trying to fix things.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
88935 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.