SO!!! I've searched high and low for a solution, pretty much tried everything under the sun to figure out how to solve this before coming to this forum. So you can't say I haven't tried!
So let me tell you the problem... The games I have played that have this problem are Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Doom 3. These are both OpenGL (and the only opengl games I have), so I am assuming this is related to OpenGL and will most likely happen with all OpenGL games.
Firstly I would like to point out that the games run without crashing when NOT recording, but as soon as I start recording, it is like setting a very precise countdown to the crash. I can pretty much predict to within 30 seconds when the game will crash once I start recording.
So at a resoltion of 1920x1080, the game will crash after about 8mins-8mins30secs of recording. If i record at 1280x720 the game will crash after roughly 18mins. This I cannot explain for the life of me, makes no sense.
I know it can't be a fault with the graphics card because it runs the games fine when not recording. For some reason recording is causing the problem, but of course I've not seen anyone else with this problem.
Here is a list of what I have tried so far:
- Recorded with FRAPS and DxTory (both produce the same problem with the same timings of crash)
- Tried different drivers, none of which change anything.
- I have used different recording settings, all possible options have been tested.
- I've tried running the game in windowed mode, still the same problem.
- I've changed all sorts of game settings to try and fix it.
- I've disabled crossfire support via application profiles, still same problem.
- I have done a full reformat of the OS. With fresh installs of all drivers and games, still the same problem.
My system specs are:
Windows 7 (64bit)
8GB G-Skill Ripjawsx @ 2133MHz
i7-2700k @ 4.8Ghz
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 Motherboard
240GB Kingston HyperX SSD (all applications and games installed on this)
3TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive (where I record to)
I hope you guys can come up with a solution where I have failed!