Topic Title: HD 6990 - Crash with all OpenGL Games (only when recording)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/27/2012 02:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/27/2012 02:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Remag
Peon

Hi everyone, 

SO!!! I've searched high and low for a solution, pretty much tried everything under the sun to figure out how to solve this before coming to this forum. So you can't say I haven't tried!

So let me tell you the problem... The games I have played that have this problem are Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Doom 3. These are both OpenGL (and the only opengl games I have), so I am assuming this is related to OpenGL and will most likely happen with all OpenGL games.

Firstly I would like to point out that the games run without crashing when NOT recording, but as soon as I start recording, it is like setting a very precise countdown to the crash. I can pretty much predict to within 30 seconds when the game will crash once I start recording. 

So at a resoltion of 1920x1080, the game will crash after about 8mins-8mins30secs of recording. If i record at 1280x720 the game will crash after roughly 18mins. This I cannot explain for the life of me, makes no sense.

I know it can't be a fault with the graphics card because it runs the games fine when not recording. For some reason recording is causing the problem, but of course I've not seen anyone else with this problem.

Here is a list of what I have tried so far:

• Recorded with FRAPS and DxTory (both produce the same problem with the same timings of crash)
  • Tried different drivers, none of which change anything.
  • I have used different recording settings, all possible options have been tested.
  • I've tried running the game in windowed mode, still the same problem.
  • I've changed all sorts of game settings to try and fix it.
  • I've disabled crossfire support via application profiles, still same problem.
  • I have done a full reformat of the OS. With fresh installs of all drivers and games, still the same problem.
My system specs are: 
Windows 7 (64bit)
HD 6990
8GB G-Skill Ripjawsx @ 2133MHz
i7-2700k @ 4.8Ghz
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 Motherboard
240GB Kingston HyperX SSD (all applications and games installed on this)
3TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive (where I record to)
I hope you guys can come up with a solution where I have failed!
Kind regards, 
Remag

12/04/2012 06:56 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Fraps 3.5.8 - 22nd August, 2012

- Fixed intermittent crash recording from OpenGL games
- Fixed crash when unable to access sound device
- Fixed minor memory leak with Win7/Vista sound recording
- Fixed crash encountered by some users when ending a recording

Do you have the latest vesion (which is newer than the one in the quoted change log)?

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/05/2012 01:42 AM

Author Icon
Remag
Peon

Hi, I've tried with 3.5.9, so that fix is unrelated to my problem. 

01/25/2013 09:00 PM

Author Icon
Nand311
Peon

Hey Remag, I've been following your forum posts all over the Internet and see that you have finally ended up at what seems to be the source.  Just wanted to see if you've found any solutions yet...I just downloaded AMD's newest driver today, 13.1, but I'm still having issues with crashing.  Basically, I'm having the exact same problem as you, same timing for crashes and all, just that I use a different GPU (dual 7870s in Crossfire).

-------------------------
i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB
Dual AMD Radeon HD 7870 in Crossfire
8GB DDR3 / 1600 MHz
 01/25/2013 09:19 PM

Author Icon
Remag
Peon

Hi Nand,

It's basically rubbish driver support and poor OpenGL drivers. I did find a solution.

Switched to Nvidia. All my problems have gone now. 

Good luck to you because I spent about 2 months researching a fix and despite numerous tickets for assistance sent to AMD, never heard back from them.

Regards,

Remag

Statistics
88902 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.