Topic Title: Dynanamic range 0-255 video color - unavailable
Topic Summary: I get dark gray in movies instead of true black
Created On: 01/06/2013 12:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/06/2013 12:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
eodeo
Peon

I noticed that my nvidia GPUs have the simple "dynamic range" video setting to force true 8bit, 0-255 color space. I want my blacks in video to be true black and not merely dark gray. How can I do the same with my ATI 4850 card?

I'm using the latest driver available for my GPU - 12.6 for windows 7 x64 sp1. I'm playing videos through “BS player” using the default "EVR- enhanced video renderer" mode - like I do on all my machines. Black edges where there is no video are true black, while video black is merely darkly gray - on my ATI card.

As you know its these simple things that make or brake a GPU. Not everything is in raw speed. I'd hate to be force to use nvidia GPUs just because I cant reproduce good video colors on ATI.

I dislike black being portrayed by dark gray. The only similar option in CCC "enable dynamic contrast" makes the dark gray even whiter doing the exact opposite of what I want.

Thank you.

-------------------------

EoDEo

Ideas drift like petals on the wind. You need only to lift your face to the breeze.

01/06/2013 09:46 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You mean

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/06/2013 10:44 PM

Author Icon
eodeo
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion You mean

Yes! Exactly that. What Voodoo must I do do, to get that? This is what I have now with ati drivers 12.6 for win 7 64(latest available for hd 4850):

EoDEo

Ideas drift like petals on the wind. You need only to lift your face to the breeze.

01/06/2013 11:10 PM

Author Icon
eodeo
Peon

Looking at the names of the windows you and me posted, I'm noticing the distinctive difference.

Your windows bears the name of "AMD VISION Engine Control Center"
whereas mine uses "Catalyst Control Center"

While I applaud AMD for adding per app 3d settings and unified gamma settings for 2d, 3d and video (features I was overjoyed to find that nvidia has had for quite some time)- I'm already a little disapointed that AMD chose to leave my GPU out of updates. If in the meantime they added full video controls, but are not sharing them with my card... I would be even more so.

Nvidia still supports my old 8800gt with the latest drivers and I could set per app 3d settings, unified 2d/3d/video gamma AND video reproduction settings from day one. 4 years after I got my 4850, I finally have some of the settings nvidia supported for ages, but AMD chose not refine them any further. I just hope that the missing settings is an easily fixable glitch or that AMD adds them to drivers ASAP. Its the only decent thing to do for all their consumers... and its such a basic setting too..

EoDEo

01/07/2013 12:20 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: eodeo Looking at the names of the windows you and me posted, I'm noticing the distinctive difference.

Your windows bears the name of "AMD VISION Engine Control Center" whereas mine uses "Catalyst Control Center" While I applaud AMD for adding per app 3d settings and unified gamma settings for 2d, 3d and video (features I was overjoyed to find that nvidia has had for quite some time)- I'm already a little disapointed that AMD chose to leave my GPU out of updates. If in the meantime they added full video controls, but are not sharing them with my card... I would be even more so. Nvidia still supports my old 8800gt with the latest drivers and I could set per app 3d settings, unified 2d/3d/video gamma AND video reproduction settings from day one. 4 years after I got my 4850, I finally have some of the settings nvidia supported for ages, but AMD chose not refine them any further. I just hope that the missing settings is an easily fixable glitch or that AMD adds them to drivers ASAP. Its the only decent thing to do for all their consumers... and its such a basic setting too..

You can use a modded version > http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-8-97-18-april-7900-mod

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Statistics
85385 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.