AMD has provided legacy users with a working catalyst driver. The first one that was released was an unofficial catalyst 12.6 driver. It works for the most part, but it has issues. The main problem is that modern apps that stream such as Netflix, Tunein, IheartRadio, etc. do not work. I don't know why it breaks streaming, but I have found a working solution. The second problem with the legacy driver 12.6 is that "ccc.exe" may crash during Windows 8 shutdown or reboot. I'm sure many of you know what I am talking about. You can install Catalyst 12.6 legacy in compatibility for Windows 7 to fix the crashes at shutdown, but it will not fix modern apps. AMD recently released Catalyst 13.1. I was hoping that the new drivers would fix the streaming issues in modern apps, but to my surprise it was still broken.
I stumbled upon the solution while testing various Catalyst versions. I am confident to say that Catalyst 12.2 is the best version. The reason I say this is because overclocking on Catalyst 12.2 does not break AMD Powerplay. On newer Catalyst versions, disabling the overclock using AMD GPU Tool would cause the Core, Memory and Voltage to stay at maximum until you reboot. The best part about Catalyst 12.2 is that modern apps that stream work. Yes, that's right. Modern apps work using Catalyst 12.2. Although Catalyst 12.2 is a Windows 7 driver, it works better than any of the newer Catalyst drivers available. I tested 12.6, 12.4, 12.3, 12.2. I did not test any lower version because 12.2 worked.
Before installing, make sure you uninstall the current catalyst driver you are using and reboot.
How to install:
Download Catalyst 12.2
- Windows 7 64 bit for laptops: http://www.general-files.com/download/gs4aed0b25h32i0/12-2_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe.html
- Windows 7 32 bit for laptops: http://www.general-files.com/download/gs4a7fcadch32i0/12-2_mobility_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc.exe.html
- Windows 7 64 bit for Desktop: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ati_catalyst_vista_64/11826/
- Windows 7 32 bit for Desktop:http://www.filehippo.com/download_ati_catalyst_vista/11825/
I've only tested the mobility catalyst driver for Windows 7 64 bit. Mobility 32 bit should work too. I cannot say whether Catalyst 12.2 for desktop will work. This solution worked on a Dell Studio 1458 with an ATI Mobility Radeon 4530. It's worth a shot if you don't want to buy a new GPU or laptop.
Navigate to the location where you downloaded Catalyst 12.2. Double-click the installer. It should extract the files in you "C" partition in your hard drive. The installer will launch the program that assist in installation of the drivers. Cancel the installation. Navigate to your C: partition. There should be a folder called "AMD." Open the folder and there should be a folder named "Support." Open that folder and there should be another folder called "12-2_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc." It may be named differently if you downloaded the 32 bit version or the Desktop version. Open the folder and you should see a file called "Setup"
Install in compatibility mode for Windows 7
You can install in compatibility mode with two methods.
1. Right click on the file and select "Troubleshoot compatibility" Select troubleshoot program. You should see a new dialogue asking "What problems do you notice?" Select the box "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now" and hit next. Now it will ask "Which version of Windows did this program work on before?" Select Windows 7 and hit next. In the next dialogue select the box "Test the program...." Catalyst 12.2 installer should start. Install the software as normal. After that you are all set. Test netflix, Tunein or IheartRadio. Streaming should now work.
2. Or Right-click on setup and select "Properties." Check the "Compatibility” tab and you should see a box labeled "Compatibility mode" Check the box "Run this program in compatibility for:" and select Windows 7. Select apply and okay and run the setup installer as normal. The driver should install and modern apps should work.
You should now have fully functional modern apps. Catalyst control center works as well and no “CCC.exe” crashing during shutdown. Until there is an official fix. This is all we have now. Thanks for reading and I hope this solves your modern app issues.
THIS SOLUTION WORKED ON A DELL STUDIO 1458. IT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU.
Jorge loves running everyday!
01:36 PM by