Topic Title: Driver install: the INF file was not found
Topic Summary: Trying to install 13.1 legacy drivers on top of 12.1
Created On: 04/17/2013 11:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/17/2013 11:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
argenzul
Peon

Good day, forumites,

Today I decided to update from 12.1 to the latest drivers using the AMD Driver Downloader tool, which correctly identified my card and OS (Radeon HD 2600 PRO and Windows Vista SP2 32-bit, respectively). It downloaded 13-1-legacy_vista_win7_win_8_32_dd_ccc.exe, then unpacked it and installed everything.

However, during the installation the Windows(R) Installer malfunctioned and, not long after that, the AMD installer complained that the INF file was not found and aborted the installation of the drivers.

I tried everything I could think of:

• As a first step, uninstalled the antivirus software I was using (remains uninstalled).
  • Downloaded the AMD 13.1 legacy installer again using a different browser (just in case the file got corrupted). Didn't work.
  • Uninstalled every AMD driver that remained on my computer (the device manager identified my card as a "Standard VGA card") and, after rebooting, performed a fresh installation. Didn't work.
  • Followed these instructions, installing .Net Framework 4.5, uninstalling every AMD driver, rebooting, removing any remaining AMD item using Driver Sweeper 3.5.0, rebooting and performing an even fresher installation. Didn't work.

So now I'm stuck in a 800x600 resolution unable to install any graphic driver. I cannot restore the OS to a previous point and if possible, I'd prefer to avoid reinstalling the OS and all programs, as reinstalling everything would take a time I currently don't have (but if I'm forced to, I won't complain).

Does anyone have any idea on what might be the cause of this and, if so, how to solve it? Thanks in advance guys.

Specs:

• CPU: Intel Core2 Quad @2.4 GHz
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 2600 PRO PCIe
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
  • RAM: 3 GB
  • About 200 GB of free hard drive.
 04/17/2013 12:09 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: argenzul Does anyone have any idea on what might be the cause of this and, if so, how to solve it?

Whenever I saw this error the cause was always the user previously using some kind of driver sweeper/cleaner which removed important parts of the system. Reinstalling the OS helps.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

04/17/2013 12:15 PM

Author Icon
argenzul
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: argenzul Does anyone have any idea on what might be the cause of this and, if so, how to solve it?

Whenever I saw this error the cause was always the user previously using some kind of driver sweeper/cleaner which removed important parts of the system. Reinstalling the OS helps.

Great, because I haven't had contact with any cleaning/sweeping tool prior to the appearance of this problem. Anyways, seems that is time to resign myself and commit to the horror of reinstalling the OS yet again.

Thank you so much for your time, Mr. Eydee.

04/22/2013 10:11 AM

Author Icon
EmPas
Peon

This is just getting hilarious, the most bugged problem nowadays is the "INF file bug"

As we all tried, that is; to remove the drivers with some specific program, in this case I used DRIVERFUSION, which is a good program to use when you get problems like this, but still it didn't help... I tried a lot of things, nothing worked... I just don't get it why they can't get this thing fixed? I mean it shouldn't be a problem...

Yours,

EP

-------------------------
- One for all, all for one..
Statistics
86428 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.